Moss/Weeds in pavers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gardenpro, Feb 6, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I've tried amitrole, but I found weeds are killed easiest with the glyphosate. Amitrole seems to wash into the lawn with rain!!!!!
    What I'm looking for is an effective moss killer for in between pavers. Most seem to have iron, which would stain red.
    There is a lot of pavers in these complexes. Thanks.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Moss is a plant, the simplest of plants. Roundup will kill moss. Of course, moss will turn brown, and if well established, you'll have brown crud instead of green crud on the walks. Cut away dead with string trimmer, or shovel if very flat surfaces. In future, watch for moss and spray ASAP to keep it under control.

Moss is an weak plant that is easily crowded out by other plants. But if you have a situation very habitable to moss, and other plants can't grow there, moss WILL grow well.

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The cheapest and easiest way to control for moss and algae is with a good antibacterial soap solution.
    I have used/seen others use Dawn Ultrex with great effectiveness
    on controlling moss/algae on golf course putting greens.
    Use about 2.5 to 4 ounces/gallon in a hand held sprayer.
    It is cheaper than glyosphate, non phototoxic and works well.

4. gardenpro

from -

Thanks guys, can't wait to get on it!

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I never tried the dishsoap. But even if it works for the golf course, and it works in my back yard....... Where is the pesticide label and MSDS so I can sell this as a for hire applicator???

Remember, any chemical, natural or synthetic, you are using to control a pest is legally defined as a pesticide. If you find that you can kill grubs with a certain brand of toothpaste, to legally use it as a for hire applicator the toothpaste must have a pesticide label specifying its use on grubs.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I know it's the law but has anyone here have any verifiable proof that someone has been charged with using soap as pesticide? Our instructor told us about this too but he had never charged anyone or heard of anyone actually being charged with it. He was retired from the Ministry.

7. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I think the proper approach to this is in how you promote it. If you advertise and promote for the specific purpose there may be some legal issues. Spraying your grass with detergent is not illegal, if the moss dies as a side effect so be it.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Moss-weeds in the pavers? Seems like a good place to gas up the mower or trimmers!!! Actually, now that I think about it, the per gallon cost might be more than a herbicide. Man, the world is upside down. Bottled water costs more than beer and gasoline costs more than herbicides. I think we have entered an alternative universe.

9. gardenpro

from -

It get's weirder by the day man. Soon water will be everything, just watch.

10. Funky

Funky LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Does this hurt the surrounding plants or lawn at all? Do I have to worry about overspray or run off?