1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mtdman, May 15, 2005.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a lot of moss in my own yard. What can I use to kill it?
  2. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Moss is caused by lack of air flow to the area and/or very poor soil conditions. Possibly, cut back and/or trim some bushes that may prevent air flow. Aerate the lawn to open up the soil, and consider topdressing with 1/4 inch of mushroom compost.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

....and fertlize regularly. With all these, Mike hit it right on the head. 3 elements. Poor drainage, lack of nutrients, and lack of air circulation.
  4. mtdman

The back yard is shady and wet. I've got to cut down some trees back there to open it up to the sun. I hope that helps. I aerated and fertilized tonight. Not sure what to do about the air. Is there anything to kill the moss? I've heard that dishsoap will kill moss.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Copper sulphate will burn it off. Do a little research, and you will find the availability and ap. rates. You are DEFinitely going to have to open up yuor back though, if you are wanting to keep turf growing back there. If not, you may want to look into some other options like mulching and shade loving plants. I hope this helps.
  6. mtdman

Yep, thanks.

7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

What is mushroom compost all about? I've never heard of it.
  8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Mushroom compost is the 'spent' (used up) growing medium used to raise mushrooms. You've seen little bits of it on store-bought mushrooms that weren't quite thoroughly cleaned. If you're in an area that grows mushrooms, it can be a great soil amendment.