Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GRASS-PLUS, Oct 10, 2004.

GRASS-PLUS LawnSite Member

Any suggestions for getting rid of moss?
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

moss likes areas that have poor drainage, poor air circulation, too much shade, too little fertilizer.

econimical control: rake up the moss, reseed. try to reduce shade, and fertilize.

chemical: ferrous sulfate or ferrous ammonium sulfate.
  3. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. mKroher says it best- the conditions are important to trace and then the fix is dependant upon the outcome. I was installing a new lawn with a MOSS MAT that was from a 150 year old tree. The following 'copied text' from an earlier that brought me success. But what mKroher states is also correct "chemical: ferrous sulfate or ferrous ammonium sulfate."

Earlier post of mine:::
    Well, after consulting the professionals in here and our local "Whiz" of gardening, here is what I have found regarding MOSS.
    **Gypsum, organic fertilizer, lime and seed, seed, seed.**
    Theory is the soil test we had from July may have been altered after numerous Tropical Storms hit Hampton Roads, VA. And the moss being 'tilled' just distributed more spores. (Understandably) BUT...who ever said get the seed growing as fast as I can was 100% accurate. (See *** for method) However, as a follow up I will have to fertilize every month to insure deep root growth that will over power the moss.'s beer thirty! Thanks for the great advice!!! I will keep you all posted on the green monster.

The grass is perfect. We seeded it at a high rate and the moss is losing its bearing in the yard from the vigorous growth of new turf.

Garden of Weeden
    "For the love of god and Mother nature..."
  4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Garden.. i would have strapped some C4 to that tree :)

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Moss is not the problem. Moss is the simplest of plants, and a very poor competitor. You have moss because other plants are not doing well, therefore the moss can survive. Once you have other plants, like grass, growing in a healthy manner, the moss will disappear.

Of course, sometimes it is difficult to get the premium growing conditions for grass in some areas. If cultural conditions cannot be improved for turf cover, might be time to consider some other type of ground cover that will survive in the site conditions.