Mossy Problems

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RAlmaroad, Feb 18, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey All: About a year and a half ago I bought a house and huge yard in SC. My neighbor also from TN. moved there about 12 years ago. After watching me and inquiring about what I was doing and telling him that I had some experience in agriculture, he showed me some HUGE MOSS in his yard near some Bradford pear trees but not fully under them. These are huge mounds and turn black when water hits them. On first guess I though LIME DEPRIVED. But, under there he said was an old road bed of cocina (Shells that are used to pave driveways). This stuff is about 6-8 inches down. Soil is really sandy. Got any answers. I ran it by Clemson Extension Agent in Georgetown--Nothing.
    I'll try to get a camera to put it here as soon as I can.
    Meantime there is something like short Spanish Moss growing from his Azelias nearby also. Close to his house and don't get much water. Same with a Creap Myrtle in behind.
    These two mossy things are not in any of my old books and hope that someone would recognize the problem and help me help him out.
    Thanks to a bunch of nice folks here.
    Got any ideas?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Where I'm at I would also say its soil acidity and would apply lime but you need to do a PH test to be sure. I used to live in SC and Spanish Moss is just a fact of life its everywhere.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks for the reply: The stuff on my neighbors azyleas is short stuff and well looks like a gray scruggly leichen fur on the little things. They are dying and the crepe myrtles are the same. The spanish moss in the oak sorta hangs down and has a pattern to it. This is hard to describe. I'm going to borrow a digital camera and take some photos over the next week end. On the moss or mushroom like stuff--I haven't a clue, but that's not new--still learning at my age. Again thanks
    PS--Anyone--How do I attach photos???

4. RAlmaroad

from SC

Figured out attachment in the "Go Advanced" Thanks