Most cost affective way to overseed 90k sq lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mrusk, Apr 9, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I mow a 90,00 sq lawn. The lawn is 2 years old and thin. Customer wants over seeding. The only slice/slit seeders for rent in the area are small walk behind units. I think it would be ridicoulous expensive to go that route.

I'm thinking soil test, areate 2 times (different directions), overseed with a spreader at 3lbs per a k, and then start fert.

Do you have any other suggestions?

BTW most of the lawn will not be watered. 90K sq is biggg!

Matt

2. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

matt, that is a large area to slit seed. I get aprox. 12,000'/hr slit seeding with a mataway so your looking at an 8 hour day just to slit seed. aeration and broadcast will get decent results not as good as slice seeding however. Maybe a compromise of slice seeding high visibility areas and aeration and broadcast the "back 40".

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with aerating and broadcast seeding and fertilizing. Try to do something to drag the soil cores in after seeding so that the seed isn't just sitting on top. Adaquate amounts of fertilizer will go a long way towards thickening up a new or recently seeded lawn.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

This might be better done in the late summer mid-August to Mid- September due to lack of watering.....

Just a thought...

D

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what i am thinking. I think i am going to tell the guy to put that money towards fert, and then revaulate at the end of august.

6. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We do acreage overseeding and rennovating often. We did 60,000 feet in 3 hour hours, We aerated 4 times, starter fertilizer with a tow behind broadcast spreader and walked the seed, I dont like tow spreaders for seeding, its longer but more accurate if you walk it i think. easier to see what and where your applying so yo udont miss spots. We then roll it 2-4 times. We use a 42: Turfco tow behind earator so it aearates as fast as your ZTR can move