Most decorative block for structual retaining wall.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am bidding a job right now for a structual retaining wall. Most likely around 1500 face feet. Most of the time we would just use a regular allen block or something like that for a wall this size. However this wall is on a 10 million dollar house and highly visable.

I love techo products, but there wall units are just physicall not big enough. What are the 9inch deep?

I am thinking of using ep henry Coventry block. I have never worked with this block before. What do you guys think of it?

Matt

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

EP is not available here, so I haven't ever seen/used it.

Around here, if we were looking at a wall like that on a property like you describe (which, BTW, is pretty much non-existant!!), we'd probably be looking at a Versa-loc Mosaic wall. Either tumbled or straight face, depending on what the client wants or is willing to pay for and what kind of feel the house will have.

Versa-lok is hands down the best option we have for a true retaining wall block. You can do everything with the 'standard' size of block; since it's a solid block you can make corners, steps, columns, etc with it rather than having to order special blocks like with other manufacturers. Go with a blended color if possible so that color differences between runs won't show (but that's the case with just about any manufacturer).

Keystone Century wall has a similiar feel, but IMHO has some design flaws, not to mention the fact that it's a core'd block which is an added PITA.

3. mrusk

We have very little keystone presence in the area. And i have no idea about how good the local manufacture is for keystone.

I could do a mosic versa lok, but i know they really rape you on the cost for the small block. But its a easy block to work with.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really like Keystone in general, but the only block supplier in our county carries only Keystone/Belgard, so you see quite a bit of it.

By "small block" do you mean Accents? IIRC, here they really don't cost too much more per sf than "windsor" blocks, and they look a LOT better. Where they get you is the snap pins @ $.30+ per...

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

10 million dollar home?

In that case I would use NATURAL STONE. ENGINEERED.

We work in the DC Metro area. Where the homes get rather expensive. And the closer you get to DC - the slimmer your chances of using anything other than NATURAL STONE.

Call a good engineer and have them engineer a stone veneered wall.

6. mrusk

Might not be 10 million, but the house is 18 k sq feet. The client is a builder and knows all the options out there, and said he wanted srw block. There are a ton of walls on the property, so doing a masonry wall could really get pricey. House is all brick, so we'd have to do a brick all, and i'd have to sub it all out then and loose out a good job. I do not think it will look bad it we go with a nice block. It should go nice with the paver driveway.

I'll still run the idea past him.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

What would be wrong with 8" Quarry? IMO, Quarry is the nicest looking srw available.

8. mrusk

The techo blocs are only 9inches deep. They just do not have the mass of the other blocks out there. Now i know they engineered several tall walls with these block. I am just thinking they must spec grid in every single row. Am i thinking about this all wrong?

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

:confused: I don't know. You haven't specified any dimensions or conditions other than face feet.

If you like Techo aesthetically, fill out the prelim sheet, send it to Techo, and have them preengineer it for bidding purposes.

10. mrusk

I do not think this wall will have much of a load. Max high is 11 feet. A cut was excavated for the house. The cut was made through rock. Honestly, i do not even think a wall is needed, but the town wants one.

Are the prelim sheets on their website, or do i need to call them to get one?