Most effective advertisement?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 31, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am officially starting up next spring and I am considering my options for advertisement. I am looking to cover maybe 4,000 - 5,000 homes and small commercials of any size upto maybe 2 acres or so. I like the QuantumMail.com idea but that is pretty expensive for this amount of coverage. I think it might take around 100 hrs to put out 5k fliers/doorknob hangers? I could be off a bit though. Am also considering flyers, doorknob hangers, and am receptive to other ideas, let me know what is the best way, thanks. PS I wouldn't have more than a few hundred dollars to spend on it. Let me know your ideas and about how much it would cost to cover this amount. Thank you alot.
    Eric

2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

BHB,
    I tried a few things in the past, but a classified ad in my local newspaper worked the best for me. The door hangers sound like a good idea to target a specific subdivision. I'll be trying that the next time I do any advertising. I would think that a combo of the classified ad and the door hangers would be under a few hundred bucks.

3. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

an ad in the classified section of our paper under a section for services you can get listed for $126/month "with signed contract" and it reaches 60k people a day. Think it will be worth it? I'm going to try to call someone in it and see how much they think it has helped.
    f350 - thanks for the link. Nice website.

5. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I have had great luck with the local paper. Run the ad often so when a customer need your services they can find you.

John

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks, which do you think has the most response per dollar invested, a newspaper ad or fliers? I think (and have found) that fliers have about a 1% response rate, but I don't know anything about the paper.
    Thanks
    Eric

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you are going to send mailings, the best way is to repeat. Send one 5X at a week apart. I spoke with a guy at the GIE that put a 1/2 cup of seed in a bag with his flyer. Not sure how many he passed out, but he said they got 2400 aeration jobs with that campaign. I have best results with the paper for extra services, not good for mowing accounts. If you do for mowing, name your targeted areas. You can get 2000 door hangers through NEBS for around $120 if this is your first purchase. Most people in marketing say to use everything large and a lot of colors. I forget the web address, but there is a company that will print 5000 full color postcards for $299. That is a pretty good deal. They will also mail them for you, but not sure of the price.

MATT

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Matt, I think the direct mailing idea is out because it will be too expensive for the amount of startup money I have to work with. I think I will try the paper ad and flyers, but if I want around 50 responses, how many should I count on the paper to produce if it has a daily audience of over 60k? (not all of those will look at the classifieds though) I know about 1% response rate on fliers. I will start advertising in March I guess, but how many responses a month will the paper get do you think? Thanks,
    Eric

9. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I would like to suggest this, as I see it work and still does, very effectivley I might add. Buy American Flags, the plastic type, 6 X 9" on wooden dowl. Attach your business card to the flag. Then early one Am, you and several friends/family members and whoever else will contribute to the cause, all of you drive off in a direction, with the helper standing these flags in front of everyone's property. A local real estate agent trying to get started, tried this. Now it is "expected" of that agency every flag day. They distribute approximately 10,000 flags between 7 or so surrounding towns. Everyone wakes up flag day, and in the front yard is the little plastic American Flag complete with business card.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

hmmmm.. interesting concept, however, flagday is in the middle of mowing season and thus it won't do me that much good. thanks for the idea though.
    Eric