Most effective way to collect leaves from backyards?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by McLandscapingInc, Dec 1, 2010.

1. McLandscapingInc

McLandscapingInc LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Wanted to get some ideas. I bought out a couple smaller residential lawncare businesses last year; and are doing leaf removal on them. My thought is to have the guys use the barrels to bring the leaves from around back in order to get them to the leaf loader. That or blow them around the house. I know it depends a lot on the yard. On my commercial stuff we have sometimes used the jrcoplows and bobcats to move the leaves. But the problem is the small gate entries? Any ideas, questions, comments? Thanks in advance.

2. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

One thing for sure, backing over the piles with Gators really reduces volume, making getting them to the front or woods, etc. much, much easier.
    I hate 'em cause mowing is easier and more profitable for me - I have been targeting accounts with few trees or easy disposal in surrounding woods.

3. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

i cut the leaves up with gators,then close the chute blocker to cut them up to almost a dust.leave a lot of the leaves in the beds for the pine needles base

4. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Cheap plastic tarps work much better than barrels! A tarp will squish through a narrow gate opening pretty easily with some coaxing...

5. McLandscapingInc

Excellent ideas guys; very much appreciated. Keep'em comin

6. McLandscapingInc

Mow biz, how do you like your leaf loader? Any problems, quirks, etc? Looking to buy a smaller one like that for these residential lawns

7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

already been said tarps.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo cut them up in the back yard and leave the dust. We do hundreds that way every year. Moving leaves around with blowers to a sucking machine is going to take you a lot of time.

9. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%. Mulching leaves to at least reduce the volume will save a lot of time.

10. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

This works if there is not too many leaves. I done this and it worked fine, then the next lawn has so many leaves it looks like dirt's been hauled in for top dressing. Down here in OK too much oak leaf dust, and the grass will start to thin out. JMO