Most efficient to water 20' X 140'

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 20, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Am looking at different possibilities for watering areas like this. Sprays, small rotors, mp rotators?

What do you all find to work the best?

John

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you had enough water, you could use square-pattern mist head nozzles right down the center of the strip. Rainbird still makes them. Not really practical, though. Plain old mist heads at 20 foot triangular spacing is the textbook method, and easy enough to group in zones.

3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

PGJ's or 3500's

4. Love2Cut

Love2Cut LawnSite Member

Be sure to match precipitation rate to absorbsion rate and adjust for slope. Fixed sprays can put down alot of water quickly.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I would venture that double row square would be the cheapest w/ either a 17 or greater nozzle. Those cheap Hunter PS04/17A's or more money but better heads, RB1804's or Hunter w/ the largest nozzle you can find 18 or 20.
    Best in my opinion would be Hunter I-20's w/ the short range (black) nozzles. Square or Triangle spacing. Best (slow) precip rate, and most durable head on the market for this distance. Again just my opinion and ..........Oh, Jon, Mark it on the calendar and take note, I recomended something besides Irritrol :)

6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

mp rototators. probly 2000's on 180, mebbe 3000's necked down. depends on pressure.

140 feet long, 20 wide. hmm. one in the corner, go out opposite 20 feet, put a 20 foot radius rotator on a 180. each side will be spaced 40 feet to a head, but staggered.

8 heads or so? if so, that is easily covered in one zone, and with poly the 140 feet is NO problem.

cost in parts: 40 for the nozzles, 16 for bodies, 25 for fittings, 30 for pipe.

110 bucks.

7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Using square spacing it will take a minimum of 16 heads with 18' nozzles if it is protected borders. Sidewalks and/or driveways, fences, buildings, property line.Or the same number of MP 2000 rotators.

If it is unprotected, then you could use 6 rotors, Hunter, Rainbird, or (shudder) Irritrol,<chuckle> along one side. You could also use the MP rotators along one side and get the coverage by throwing a lot of water across the boundry.

Jerry

8. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

huh???????
    16 heads???
    what are you doing, triple covering???????

16 heads means a head more then every 10 feet. wow.

if you do sprinklers with 20 feet radius (the width of the area to be covered) you can put a sprinkler every 20 feet, across from each other.

which means that on a given side, there is a sprinkler every 40 feet.

????????????

doug

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think 16 heads meant 8 on a side. If there was a driveway you wanted to keep the heads away from, then the head-to-head spacing would make sense. I'm liking those square-pattern mist heads more and more. ;)

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

140' linear / 20' head spacing = 7 spaces +1 head at the begining or end (depending on how you started counting). So 8 heads per row and two rows for square spacing. 8x2=16 That is the text book way for uniform coverage. Anything less is an amatuer making it work without getting perfect coverage. Triagular spacing on this scenario would only save you one or two heads and would rob coverage on the ends.