Most efficient way to get leaves into (trash) bags...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by the undergraduate, Sep 28, 2006.

1. the undergraduate

the undergraduate LawnSite Member

Well... it wasn't my preferred method of leaf removal, but the landfills in my county don't accept commercial yard waste and there are no farms around either. The county does have three scheduled bagged leaf pickups annually, however.

My question is what's the best (fastest) way to get leaves into bags? Also, most of the yards around here are too small or crowded for a mower and vac setup. A lot of big oak trees... so I don't want to mulch either.

I was thinking of blowing/raking/tarping all the leaves to the front and then using a Trac Vac or Cyclone Rake with trash bags in them to suck up all the leaves. Kinda like using a leaf loader to fill bags instead of a leaf trailer...

My county does offer loose leaf pickup "within one to ten days after placing the order" for only $30. Money out of my pocket, but a lot less headache... and probably happier customers (assuming the county shows up on time).

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, and insults welcome...

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used the largest bags I could find and put them in a large trash can and filled them that way, it went pretty fast. It would help a lot if the leaves are mulched up also, you get a lot more into the bags. and charge per bag for disposal seperatley on the bill.

This could be a good idea for you to think about. Get the leaves to curb and they take away. It would definetley not be money out of your pocket, in the bid you add the charge in there and customers pay for their leaf removal.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Place all the bags open, on the ground, a week before the leaves come off. When leaves are done, just go back for the bags.

Easy?

4. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried that, it does not work as good as I thought it would;)

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sir, that is not true, there is one landfill that accepts anyone's waste, they are so big they take waste from out of state and even Norfolk delivers some (no I am not joking). Yes, commercial, residential, industrial, they don't care so long it's not hazardous waste.

Shooshmith Landfill, 1100+ acres of land, biggest landfill you ever seen your whole life, guaranteed. Surprised you've never heard of them, they're well known (then again, I had never heard of them before either lol).

They're on route 10 between the courthouse and chester, to be more accurate they're between that Wawa and the Kmart/applebees/dmv shopping center. If you're coming from Chester they're on the left, if you're coming from the county they're on the right, look for that big water tower on your right and they are almost where that water tower is. Uhm, probably 2-3 miles south of the courthouse, more like 5-6 miles north of chester (but not 100% sure on that).

They do charge but I am NOT bagging no leaves! Their charge is $40 per ton and $40 minimum, with my 6x12 I have ALWAYS paid $40 so I charge customers $200 / load and I am through with the nonsense. This has also stopped a lot of the stupid junk hauling requests, soon as I quote the price the bs is over.

If you want to find out more, it's at http://www.shoosmith.com/
    Their address lists as Lewis Road but it's directly off route 10, I think Lewis Road actually belongs to them, not sure.

p.s.: There's another guy off Qualla Road and he charges less but he's not always open and you can never be too sure when he's open and when he's not, so I got tired of playing games and I use Shoosmith.

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow I guess living in Fla is really good. All landfills will take leaves, just not in bags in some areas. Some have the huge dumpsters and most have the huge mountains. We just drive to where all the brush is at and dump. Weight in and weight out. Then you pay a few dollars. All done.

7. the undergraduate

the undergraduate LawnSite Member

Topsites, thanks for suggesting that. I'm in Glen Allen, so it would be about a 40 minute drive one way. I was thinking that would be too far to drive to dump the leaves. Maybe not... I really don't want to bag leaves this fall.

PMLAWN, I'll try that and let you know how it works out...

8. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

I use a grain shovel. Blow them into a pile then shovel them in.

9. restepp25

restepp25 LawnSite Member

Well there is no easy way, but the easiest way is to first rake the leaves into big piles, then go to the pile with bag in hand spread your legs, like a three point stance in football, open the bag and stand on it opening it as wide as possible, then with one hand lift the bag up off the ground, while you r still standing on the bottom part and use your other hand and the rake to rake them into the bag. Ive done thousands of bags this way, as well as clippings from shrubs and everything else this way and it is the most efficient way I have found to clean up piles of debris and put them in bags.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We use the Stihl hand held convertible blower/vacuum. It works very well vacumes and shreds them up we have been using them daily for 18 months with no problems except worn out bags. We vacuum all kinds of leaves and they are especially good for Bougainvillea bracs which are like small pieces of crepe paper.