Most Efficient way to Mow Extremely Thick Grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

It's rained everyday here for over two weeks now, and I've been unable to get a single lawn mowed. Luckily I only have a small number of accounts at the time, but the ones I have will be a nightmare to get back in shape. I have 2 yards that are about 1.5 - 2 acres and are full of thick bahia this time of year. If you're not familiar with bahia it's like mowing little trees:rolleyes: I would imagine by tomorrow the majority of it will be over a foot tall.

I want to know what some of you have found to be the most effective way to mow something that is this thick and make it look good. I don't have a bagger so that's not an option, and I would like to keep from raking and loading 2 acres worth of grass if I can. I have a Scag Wildcat with a 61" deck so it will have no problem getting the grass down. Is it best to cut the entire lawn first at a higher level then come back a little lower? I'm open to any suggestions...the way it looks right now I may be trying to get them done by tomorrow if the weather will cooperate.

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Double high lifts. Happy fourth.
    John

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Gator Mag's.. cut once at highest height, then cut again at normal height.. Make sure you charge accordingly..

4. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

qualitylandscaping,

I wish I could charge accordingly. These are accounts that I mow weekly, but have not been able to mow the last 2 weeks. Problem is I only get paid when I mow, so even though it will take me at least twice as long I will get the same amount. And to top it off I'm out the money that I normally would have gotten for the previous two weeks.

-Brandon

5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i think the best way is to have a 3 blade BIG mower and only cut with one blade width at a time, at normal level!

6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

John,

Do you think doubles will make that big of a difference? I've tried doubles, but on the cag there's the spacer abover the blades. The problem was that when I ran doubles it put my blades too low...they would cut anything I mowed next too such as an elevated sidewalk or a tree. My next problem was when they hit something like I stated above they would move on me... even though I used an impact to put them on. Any ideas on how to remedy this, becasue I definitely like the way they cut.

-Brandon

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Cut it at 3" to 3 1/2" one direction, mow the entire lawn and then come back to your worst areas and cut 1/2" higher in the opposite direction.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Brandon, your conditions are about the same as mine. Cut once at full height and then again @ your normal height. You should be able to roll out pretty fast that way and you won't be wasting too much time or fuel. BTW how is biz up there? Any trouble finding work, or are ya'll swamped?

9. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

TXLawnking,

I was going to try and go full time into it this year, but I haven't been able to for several reasons. My main reason is due to health. I'm currently seeking other employment as much as I hate to, but I plan on keeping a select number of properties as a part-time gig. There's just way too many poeple around here trying to make a living at this. Hempstead has a population of around 5k and there has to be at least a dozen LCO working this area hard. I've tried going into the west side of Houston, but it's the same story. If I had a little more operating funds I could probably gain a few more clients through some massive advertising plan, but funds are low right now.

Do you work primarily in Brazoria? I drove through there the other day on my way home from Surfside and the town can't be much larger than Hempstead. I was just curious if you are able to make a decent living around there.

-Brandon

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut ones without the bag then cut with the bag. There is no need to change the height of cut and run doubles too. gators over high lifts