Most embarassing thing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laserman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. laserman

laserman LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: What's the most embarassing thing that has happened while working?
    Today at 6 pm last job of the day about my truck broke down in a customers drive way. Very big drive way so trucks not in the way no parts no drive truck home. Had to ask cust if I could leave it trailer, mowers and all!! Very embarassing. First time cust. Very nice and understanding too.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

When yu drive a truck all day all year it will happen sooner or later. Luckily for you it was in a place where you could leave the trailer. Could have been worse. Is it a new or older model truck? Maintanence is key for all equipment in this business.

3. laserman

laserman LawnSite Member

It's a 98 chevy 57'000 miles. Belt tensioner broke into pieces.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You never know when some thing will happen. I shut my engin off for 5 minutets and it would only turn over. Ended up being the fuel pump craped out. Its emberrasing!!!

Gene

5. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Mine would be when I backed my Walker into a fountain pond. I don't think anyone saw so I was ok. It doesn't add up to the guy on here a couple of months back that couldn't get his walk behind up the stairs of a back yard and had to leave it there. lol

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i started mowing my lawn and said to myself "hmm, i wonder why the bag is empty,," i had cut two rows without a blade on it:eek:

7. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i was cutting a lawn one time that had overgrown because of a lot of rain. i was on my lesco hydro with sulky and i was cruzing really good, and almost done when i found a new stump. my mower stopped dead in its tracks. the next thing i knew, i was flying over the handle bars and the brake lever just happened to find the inside of my pants pocket. well snap, the buckel broke, rip, the zipper tore apart, and whoosh, my pants slid down to my ankles. and with my hands on the deck, i quickly shimmied my way back up to where a can stand up and pull up my pants.
    i guess i really should of wore undershorts that day.
    it was a small subdivision with the houses far apart, and i did not hear any one laughing, nor did i see me on america's funniest vidios, so i can only assume that i was lucky enough to see the sight.

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

laserman and gene,

What do you do in this situation? I've often wondered what I would have to do when this occurs (because it eventually will!) and I don't have a system to deal with it. Obviously, you can't get the truck out of there with that kind of damage. Do you repair the truck at the customer's site, either yourself or bring in a mechanic? Do you have the truck towed to your house or to a garage? Can a tow truck take your truck and trailer in one haul?

What did you do???

-TGC

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cable on my trailer ( it came with the garage door spring I used for my lift gate kit). The cable is bolted down an one end and the other end I thread through my gas can, cooler, and lock on the pin on th trimmer rack. I stopped to gas up, undone the cable, let it lay off teh side of the trailer.
    Another guy pulled up beside me , with a Dodge and we talked about the trucks. I forgot to put the cable back and lock the lock.

Coming down mainstreet, I looked back to see a cloud of white smoke on the passenger side rear...
    I pulled over, it took about 15 minutes before I saw where the cable had rapped around the tire and cut a nice groove in it.
    The lock was still sitting on the edge of the trailer.:eek:

10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I have Tripple A RV (AAA) they will tow the truck and up to a 40' fifth wheel trailer or 35' tag up to 100 miles for free