most environmentally friendly products

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

does anyone know of a list of grub control products that shows which are most and least harmful to the beneficial soil life besides the targeted pest?

least harmful grub control product?

least harmful selective herbicide?

a list would be great, but if anyone knows the most enviro friendly products speak up. thanks.

and i know there are natural and organic pest controls, but sometimes they don't work as well, plus this isn't the organic forum. so, please only EPA regulated pesticides.

2. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard Milky Spore works for certain types of grubs.

3. mrkosar

from Ohio

japanese beetle grubs...yeah i've heard and read. i don't want to know about nematodes or natural controls i was hoping someone knew a list that showed toxicity to soil life for example of merit compared to mach 2. or 3 way compared with momentum....etc..

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I actually just contacted the Bug Doc as OSU about Milky Spore, and although he didn't say anything bad about it, he didn't say anything good either.

His point was....you can have 99-100% control of Jap Beetle grubs, but what about the rest. You will still have to apply grub control.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Keep doing what you are doing.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have always thought that Mach II, as an insect growth regulator, was the safest grub control. It is a molt accellerator.

I feel that Quicksilver (carfentrazone) is the safest weed killer. LD 50 is something like greater than 5000. You only need 2 ounces per acre. Three-way and Weed B Gone are something like LD50 of 300, 16 times more toxic.

6. mrkosar

from Ohio

thanks riggle. that is what i was looking for. if anyone knows of a chart that lists this info that would be great.

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

what Riggle said,

however look into Acelepryn, it's now registered, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Liquid should be available now or real soon, and I heard granular will be available next year. It will make Mach II look like Diazinon.

http://www2.dupont.com/Professional_Products/en_US/acelepryn/index.html

label:
    http://www2.dupont.com/Professional_Products/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/H65649.pdf

I have a technical bulletin on it, but can't seem to find it online. Mammalian LD50 is 5000, Fish LC50 is around 11,000, honeybee LD50 is around 3000.

Also, I've heard triclopyr is relatively benign.

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

we always use Sevin dust on them and make sure you bury it good or you can put black plastic on top and bake them for about a week.don't know if it will woprk where you are.they use itfor crop dusting.

9. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Octane herbicide has an Oral LD50 >5000 mg/kg with a soil half life of less than 2 hours, meaning that once the product is absorbed by the plant, there is essentially no additional environmental impact. As Riggle mentioned with Quicksilver, Octane has low use rates of 2 oz. per A. Hope this helps. Most of this information is available on product MSDS's.