Most frequent problems???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 30, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity... what are the most frequent breakdowns you guys face? I'm going to get the spare parts kit for my plow, and maybe a spare belt for my spreader. But aside of transmission problems... what are some of the other problems you guys have? Thanks!!!

-Tim

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

After long periods of plowing, I have one more than one occasion found loose rear lug nuts. So I check them every 5 hrs or so while plowing. Spare hydro line is a must. Also test light and, a few connectors,and electrical tape.
    Of coures a spare plow truck is always nice.
    Dino

3. SlimJim Z71

Dino,

Do you torque your lug nuts to the factory specs? I read in my Chilton's manual that the lugs on my 1/2-ton are supposed to be torqued to 140-ft.lbs. That seems pretty high to me, but that's what I have them at. So far, no problems.

-Tim

4. Alan

Alan Member

Tim, we're running Sno-Way as well, watch the connectors where the wires go onto the various solenoids on the pump unit. Vibration will tend to stretch the female clip until they will pop off when you're plowing and you'll lose that particular function. Check them after each storm and crush them down a little with pliers if the are loose. Other than that, watch for cracking welds on the A-frame, particularly at the rear where the top plate is welded (sorta) to the channel iron side pieces. Once a year pull the moldboard and check for cracking around the pivot bolt bushing. Been there, done all of this. Sno-Way makes a decent plow but their welding qaulity control absolutely SUCKS!

5. SlimJim Z71

Alan,

Are your running steel or lexan? Mine is a steel 25-series 7.5-foot. I have heard about the weld problems... so I'm keeping a close eye on that. I havn't heard about the connector issue though. Thanks for the "heads up".

-Tim

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Electrical connections tend to be the most likely problem, however even those are few and far between. However when your employees have electrical/eltronics training, fixing these problems are easy.

Here is our plan to keep breaks downs from happening. To this day we have never had to pull a truck out of service to fix it. Never a break down, if it snows the truck rolls, does this plan take some time yes.

After a storm, every truck gets washed. Then I take one or two of my electronics guys, and they go over the plow, and any electrical connections that are needed for plowing. These guys are quick, the two of them can check a truck in 8-16 min if they had to. Then again they got about 1K in electrical meters to use. After that the plows are parked, and someone inspects the welds later in the day.

Another thing to do, is set the trucks up early. Now is this is your daily driver it may not be an option. If it is going to snow tuesday night, we put plows on monday. First an operator inspection, and if something seams wrong, and quick electrical insprection. This way if parts are needed, the job isn't rushed. Then the guys can rest up during the day on tuesday.

Geoff

7. justa hick

justa hick LawnSite Member
    from Pa

our trucks are washed and inspected after each storm to
    and for the connectors on our meyers we put a piece of heat shrink over the connection i had a dodge ramcharger that the u joint on the shaft at the axle keep working lose.
    JB weld does work on threads

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Trust me the lug nuts were tourqed way past factory specs. Here is the trouble with GM rims during the 80's. They use a ring around the outside of the rims that has the taper for the lug nuts, but the back side is flat. The flat side pinches the two rims to the hub. I think the cinstant Forward to reverse, over time, loosens the lug nuts. I had a rim just about come off one time, since then we check the lugs every 5 or so hours.
    Dino

9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Duct Tape. At least one roll. Fix almost anything.

10. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

dangit John Allin, just when I get that part of my obsession past me you bring up duct tape again, now people are going to start making fun of me again!

Seriously though, on a Western V-Plow, anybody know what the most common failures are?

Adam