Most heavy duty ZTR .. I did a little reasearch.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 5, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

When you talk to a Commercial mower dealer, you always hear the expressions .. heavier .. stronger .. wider .. longer .. faster. I thought I would look at the weight, and size issue a little. I figure if the machine is supposed to be made out of heavier, and stronger material than it's competitors. that it must also be a lot heavier to reflect the use of stronger heavier gage materials. I've come to the conclusion that there is very little weight difference when comparing similar deck sizes and engine configurations. So I can only conclude from this that there is also very little difference in the quality of materials used to build these machines. I guess the Manufacturers design would play the biggest part in the strength of how all this steel is put together. Most of the veterans on here probably already know all this, but I am a green horn when it comes to commercial ZTR mowers, so I' found this to be quite interesting.

Here are a few of the major brands, and a few specs on each:

Brand-Model-Motor-W X L -Weight
    Gas Models with 27 hp Kohler

Toro Z500 27 K 76x81 1215
    B Hog m2761 " 72x85 1225
    Hustler Su - Z " 62x75 1190
    Exmark La - Z " 72x78 1138
    Scag Turf-T " 72x87 1298
    Ferris 3000zx " 65x81 1246
    Yazoo 61271 " 62x82 1090

Diesel Models

Scag Sabre-T 31HP 72x92 1635
    Kubota ZD-28 28HP 72x89 1660
    Exmark LZ-XP 27HP 72 x82 1657

I also found that I was ignorant when it came to steel thickness, and the gage numbers that are used. It turns out that the lower the gage number the thicker the steel is. I thought that it was opposite of this, but I was wrong.

Example:
    7 gage = 4.76 mm thick
    10 gage = 3.404 mm thick

I guess your never to old to quit learning.

:D

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats the Ferris is5000 weigh in at that thing looks like a beast.

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Its an interesting comparison, but its tough to say what, if anything, it all adds up to.

It strikes me as being a lot like automobiles. Sure, there's a difference between GM and Toyota, but not as much as Toyota freaks like to tout. In any case, they all have air conditioners (unless they're selling 'em way up north), CD/radio players, headlights, and so on.

Inasmuch as I've never even driven a zero, let alone owned one, I have no clue as to how the various brands stack up. When the time comes, I'll probably just default to the price/dealership method of selection. I know it sounds lame, but I just don't know how different a Ferris is from a Scag is from a whatever. I might have a preference if I'd had some experience, but...

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You need to go back and do some more research. Those widths you show are with the deflector in the down position. A huge majority of the commercial guys take the deflectors off and the ones who don't take them off have them in the up position.

Let me also add that weight means nothing as far as strength goes. Dixie Chopper mowers come with a lifetime warranty against frame breakage and cracking but they only weigh in at 940 pounds with the 27 hp engine. Dixie also has one of the, if not the, strongest hydro systems available. The tow rating on a Dixie Chopper is 2,000 pounds. Dixie Chopper also has the thickest combined mower deck top plate in the industry at a 5 gauge equivalent.

5. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

When will they start using aluminum? Could save a lot of weight.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

the hd of them all is a jd hands down

7. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Only thing about weight is rutting, rutting, and more rutting when it is wet.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not even close to the Ferris 5000...try demoing one.

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Randy,

It's good to get as much information as possible before buying. I research stuff to death before making a decision. Demo as many as you can. Some will handle better or suit your needs better than others, but they all will do the job.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

They are built pretty much the same. The only 2 manufactures that are building a mid mount Z rider thats not like the others is the Kubota and Ferris.