1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Most ideal set up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking today about what the most ideal set up (in terms of mower set up) would be and heres what i came up with tell me if you guys agree or disagree btw this would be for a solo person or a person with a helper
    A 52 27Hp ztr,60 wb 23Hp, and a 36 wb 15Hp. IMO that would be the most ideal set up if you are doin a mix of properties some bigger some smaller etc... What do you guys think about that set up ?
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 52" Z and a 36" wb. The 36" is for gated properties. Why do you need the 60" wb?
  3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Why have a 60 wb, and a 52 ztr?? The ideal setup for a guy with a helper is this: 52" ZTR, 44 ZTR, and a 36 or 32" WB. Also have a side gate on the trailer to save some time.

I think there was another thread on here with over 10 pages on what setup would be ideal.
  4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite setup is for a crew that cuts a variety of accounts all week in a 1 square mile area, very tight route. They have a 60" ztr with 28 hp efi, 52" wb w/ 23 hp, and a 36" hydro wb w/ 15 hp.
    All exmark
  5. ToroLandscaper

That sounds really ideal to me........the only reason i said a 52" Ztr is becouse there are some properties that are big but they have objects in the way or trees close together. Yeah now that i think of it that would be better a 60 ztr 52 wb 36 wb all hydro and floating deck............and enclosed trailer would be a luxary feature also.
  6. splatz100

just get one of these.......

7. ToroLandscaper

LOL yeah thats awesome hate to see the price on one though.....
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have been kicking this question around a lot too lately...

What's Ideal? I keep telling myself that it just has to be a 60" ZTR, a 42" or 44" ZTR and a 32-33" walkbehind and a 21" just in case.

That's 4 machines for a SOLO guy. Kinda crazy, but the way I'm looking at it, I already carry 4 machines, it's just that my 2 Z's are both the same 50" cut. They can get into tight areas ok and handle big stuff ok. Just perfect for mid-sized. The reason I have 2 is that both are getting up in hours, one had around 2,000 and the other has about 1,200. When the newer one goes down I can throw the catcher on the older one and go right back to mowing and worry about repairs later.

I keep thinking about having the 2 different sizes, the 44 and a 60 for example. I could get thru all the big lawns faster and all the small lawns would be easier to access, as well as I could sneak thru a couple more gates I have. BUUUUT. What happens when the 44" breaks down and the part is a few days out??? That 60" isn';t going to fit AT ALL on the small lawns and I'm stuck walking them taking way too much valuable time. Same goes for what if the 60" dies? the 44" isn't big nor powerful enough to fly thru the big props. granted it can go everywhere but it would make for some loooong days.

I think the moral of the story, and what I just can't get myself talked out of, is that having a machine that's right in the middle is perfect. A 48 to 52 will pretty much go anywhere. Once you buy one and put some hours on it then you can start thinking about a back-up machine, whether it be another used one or just getting a new one and making the other the back-up. It's pretty nice having 2 machines the same make and model. All the parts interchange and keeping parts on hand is much eaiser and less costly.
  9. splatz100

Im gonna be getting an open one for 19k. 1999-diesel-automatic-around 78000 miles.
  10. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Over the past 4 years I have found that a 52" ZTR and a 36" walkbehind with a 2 wheel velkie, both mowers with mulch kits, is the most effiecient combination for yards around here. The other 3 mowers in the trailer are just wasting space 90% of the time. Of course if exmark or toro would come out with a 36" ZTR with a 17 kawi and a mulch kit that would be the ultimate back yard mower.