1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Most inefficient LCO ever

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, May 28, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the strory and I want to see if anyone can make sense out of it b/c it blows my mind.

Yesterday I was doing a retaining wall down the street from my parents house and the neighbors LCO pulls up with about a 2yr. old F-350 V-10 flatbed pulling a real nice 20' enclosed trailer and two WB and tons of landscape tools inside, enough to supply 15 employees on the lawn truck. All in all $50,000+ in equip. Two guys get out to mow and it takes about 5 min for the trimmer to get moving and after talking on the cell another 5 min, the WB fires up. After all is said and done, 58 minutes later, they finally leave. Now this lawn is in the 10,000' neighborhood and would bring in $35-40 for most here. Now how does anyone take that long to do this lawn and build up enough to buy that much equip. I for one couldn't do it doing the lawn in half the time by myself.

Please, tell me how it could be done or has anyone else seen anyting like this before?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maybe the equipment doesn't belong to them.
    That would be my guess.
  3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, they're probably working on the clock for someone else.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I know one thing i wouldn't wnat a V10...ouch what a gas sucker.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

A guy I know here in town inherited some $$ from an aunt. He bought a lot of stuff for his biz, a building,and new truck he would have never been able to buy under normal circumstances. Maybe something similar there?? Maybe the guy hit the lottery?:confused:
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I love guessing games :D

Is it possible this was the owner of a larger operation and was spending time on the phone with the other crews?
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Either way, that's a whole lotta money tied up to mow a $40 lawn. Not to mention the two employees being paid for 58 minutes worth of work. You have to take into consideration that all that equipment, labor, and gas expenses are being tied up by that $40 lawn, for 58 minutes. You have to apply your expenses and costs to every lawn. The cost of every piece of equipment you buy has to be applied to every job you do. What's the point in making $40 if you have $100 worth of equipment and other expenses wrapped up into that 58 minutes? If the guy spent $50000 in equipment, more in labor, more in other costs, and is making less than that back he's operating at a loss. And it sounds like an unneccessary loss.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the owner probably didn't make a single dime on that lawn after they got done with it
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here's an example; 2 guys @ $8. per hour, comes out to around 13 when all payroll expenses are figured. $40 - 28= 12. Take $1.25 in machine fuel, and $2.00 in truck fuel (getting there and away), and then you have $12 - $3.25. $8.75 for the hours work was made on that job. Now, he has to pay for depreciation on the equipment, and taxes. I see it all the time with companies that have employees. There's no money in mowing, they just keep the service as an ad-on for additional work.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup Runner, you just proved my point