1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Most mulch transported at one time

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by brentsawyer, Jun 20, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

This should be a fun thread. I was wondering what is the most mulch some of you have ever picked up in one trip and transported and with what. Earlier this year I had a mulch job that had to be done on the weekend so I had to get as much as possible and between the truck and trailer, I had 20 actual yards of hardwood.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Close to 30 yards, between two trailers, one trip. Two trucks too, if that makes a difference.:p No mulch in the trucks.

Our 18' 12k trailer regularly sees 16+ yards in the spring, our 14' 7k trailer I can pack on 10 yards if I have to.

I'll add that anyone with a blower truck need not apply here, you have bigger vehicles than most! But I'm still curious to know what your capacities are....

3. packmate81

packmate81 LawnSite Member

i have two blower trucks, one is 60 yds and one is 90yds
  4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

4 yards in the truck (with sides) and around 12 in the trailer with sides. We could have fit more but didnt want to try to pull that much with a gasser.
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

4 60yard blower trucks so that is what ummmmm 240yards!!!!! BEAT THAT
  6. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

I can get 4 in the bed of my Ram with 1 set of 2X4 sideboards, if I had a few more sets, I could fit a good 6-7 on the pickup. My trailer, well.......its 18' and with 2 2X4's the whole way back, I had 7 yards with some spilling over the top boards, but if I'd put another couple sets of em' on, I'd have a hell of a pile on my trailer. The dump truck will hold 10 respectively.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

all you need to get more in a trailer is a very large tarp. lay it down in the bottom of the trailer with the excess laying out onto the ground. Then fill her up. Then pull the excess tarp over the load and tie it up. works like a charm. Just don't overload your trailer.

I have gotten 12 yds into my 16 ft.

Also you don't have blow away as you drive and you dont' have to blow out the bed, just lift up the tarp and it will all pool in one spot when you are almost done, scoop that out and off you go.
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We've done some pretty big mulch jobs before, but we've done bigger top soil and seeding jobs, the one job we did took something like 6 tri axle loads of topsoil and 4 single axle loads. I forget the exact amount, as for mulch maybe biggest job 60-80 yds of mulch hauled in the bosses peterbuilt single axle rig.

9. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I have hauled 5.5 yards in the bed of a regular pickup with out any sides. I did not even have to tarp it nor did I even have one peice of mulch blow off as I drove to the jobsite.
  10. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

i fit 3 yards with no sides - in my truck, with a full sized toolbox, yeah! thank god for headache racks and tarps.

i put 3800 pounds on a trailer one time, dont know how much that equals 7-8yds?, but my I-6 ford didn't like it too much.

mere peanuts compared to you guys, i guess thats why if i have to, let the deliery guys handle it.