1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Most Popular Walk Behinds???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by irishgoldcleanups, Jan 5, 2006.

1. irishgoldcleanups

irishgoldcleanups LawnSite Member

HI MY NAME IS JACK. i am looking to purchase a36" and am unsure on which to choose. i am new to the business:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

LESCO...MECH LawnSite Member

Lesco 36" W/B hydro or belt, built good and priced right!!
  4. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

i used to live in westbury, ny and worked out in huntigton. you wanna go with a major brand/dealer support behind it. i would reccomend exmark, scag, ferris, and bobcat. in that order (best-down) any of those will be a good investment and easy to get parts and service at multiple dealers.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Lesco or scag is top,exmark 2nd or 3rd.
  6. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

trust me anything made by mtd pro (lesco) is not top of the line. exmark and scag make up something like 80% of the market in comm. equip sales. and the other 35 manufacturers take up the rest. so that says it all right there.

but the biggest thing is support. lesco is hard to stop by there stores and get parts, they ususally dont stock much at all. and if you get mad at them at the lesco store, were ya gonna go. at least with a name brand, there are usually multiple dealers to go to for parts and service (specially on long island, there are scag and exmark dealers just about every 10 miles)

good luck with what ever piece you decide on.
  7. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

scag walkbehinds hydro or belt def take a beating year after year with hardly any downtime

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Top is in my area, not top as in commercial as far as top in sales walmart murry
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Toro proline with T-bar controls and floating deck gets my vote for favorite walk behind. T-Bar over pistol grips any day for me, just my 2 cents worth

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Around here we see a lot of Exmark,Scag, and Lesco.Personally I think you should buy what fits your budget and what the dealers around you carry.You don't want to be traveling very far for a service issue or parts.So what you buy might not be the most popular but it might still be best for you.