1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Most productive mower for gated yards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soccer coach, Sep 15, 2002.

1. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I'm trying to get a wish list together for next season. I sold most of my equipment off last year after an injury forced some time off(season). I kept a JD 21" trimmer,blower,verticut machine and basic hand tools but that is it other than my truck and trailer. My Dr. says I will be good to go next season so I'm trying to get things back in line.
    The yards I will be doing are mostly gated yards in the range of 6000 sq ' per lawn. I had a 37" toro belt drive with recycler deck that did ok but looking for something else. I was faster alot of times with a 21" than the 36 in the tight yards. Getting the 36 out in the open abit would have been a differnt story. I've been saving my money for this all year and don't want to drop the ball.
    I know alot of guys comment on the fact that a hydro has positive reverse but I'm not sure that is a big deal for me as the 37" didn't have a working reverse and it was never an issue for me. I have used the search on this site and have looked at the Flex-deck but hate to have to weld on a brand new machine. The 37 I had was a pain to get into alot of gates as it was so I can't think any bigger would work. I mow with myself and 1 guy and have thought about getting a 48 or 52 to do the front and sides and have him do the back but would like some input. I'm not really geared to do very big lawns and normally get way out bid. The small lawns seem to be less marketed in my area. I have had problems with customers not wanting a big machine but I think it is time to find out just how bad they want me. I would like to have you rated the mower you would get for mulching, bagging and general quality. I do like the t bar that the Toro had and had an Encore for a while that I hated the hand controls on.
    Mowing is not my main deal but will have to pick up as I will no longer be doing any tree work as my arm will not take it. My budget is up in the air as I don't want the price to limit what would make me more money but do have to be reasonable. Thoughts on a stander of some kind would be good and I have never used a sulkey or other riding device but thing this would help speed up the day. Thanks for the replys.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Go for the ultimate mower. If I were to choose, I would buy a 2002 Scag 52" SWZ hydro, w/Bull Rider and a nice catcher. Hopefully if I make enought money this fall, I might be able to buy one in the spring. For the smaller ggated areas, I would look into like a sutech maybe or another 36".

3. i agree on the scagg ulimate they are great mowers cut and stripe great.

For gates a 32 or 36 belt drive should do fine scag toro exmark are all good walkbehinds

4. soccer coach

from midwest

Looking for abit more insight.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the size of the gates. I'm assuming you mean small gates.

I love my 36" Toro hydro W/B. I've got the soft bagger for it if I need to gather some trash/leaves/grass. But for the most part I just mulch. I do not have the mulch kit, where it partitions the deck off, I just use sharp gators.

I'll never buy a belt drive w/b again, I love being able to go from forwards to reverse by just pushing or pulling my t-bar.

Scott

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I forget the brand, I think maybe it was Hustler, that is a 48'' cut but folds up to go thru gates. I saw it at the Expo 2002, seemed like a sweet set up. LGF or some body else might know for sure the brand.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It was a Hustler GateMaster

Here is a pic.

gm2.jpg

8. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

i'm looking at getting a "stealth mower" which has a width of 33 inches to get through most back yard gates. its only draw back is its a belt drive. its a fairly new mower about 2 years on the market.

9. soccer coach

from midwest

What does the Hustler cost? How do you change mower height? I saw a picture of this mower before and thought it looked like the ticket. Mow speed? Is it a ride on? If not what does most use as a ride on acces?

10. soccer coach

from midwest

Parkmaster, I would look into the Stealth very carefully as everyone that I've talked that have one wish they would have bought something else. I don't know for myself but just what I've heard.