Most Profitable Equipment?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by classy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. classy

classy LawnSite Member

Compare Penny spent for Penny earned, which piece of equipment makes you the most money on the maintenance side of the house?

For Example, my Stihl HS45 (Which isn't their Pro-model) makes me more money and gets more jobs than my other equipment, and uses less gas. (as a single unit).... I understand that the rest of the equipment is needed to produce the finished product.

But I must say, I am completely amazed still after 7 years how much business the Hedge trimmer rakes in. I was thinking to get a pro-model, then I saw the movie "A Man Named Pearl". Where this Auto-didactic gentleman created a Topiary garden that rivaled gardens worldwide...... WITH A HOME OWNER HEDGE TRIMMER.
    I'd feel like I over-spent, if this hs45 wasn't so fast and effective.

Many outfits here, refuse to do hedges.... I run at them.
    I charge $60 per hour for a $500 pieced of equipment, that is constantly requested. I see that people are doing BOBCAT work for $60-$115 per hour.

... you get my drift ...
    Thanks for your input ahead of time.

2. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used Ryan aerator, I have made so much money on the side with it. I paid for it the first year which was 6 years ago and have never done anything to it short of a rope for the pull starter and air in the tires. It's a Honda and I love it.

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

My shovels are pretty good money makers. Planting is where its at.

4. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

I don't mind trimming hedges either but picking up the clippings is a PITA especially in pinestraw.

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

That's why I have tarps!!

6. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

Backpack blowers for sure

7. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Also bought a used Ryan areator and have made a killing off of it!

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My leaf equipment. Two blowers and a leaf loader. Its really helped my leaf removal income.

9. joee0914

joee0914 LawnSite Member

Stihl Chainsaw by far... easily brought in a couple of thousand by itself last year.

10. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

by far my stihl MS460. that thing cleaned house last year with the hurricane and the october snowstorm. i paid $900 for it in august by christmas i had done nearly 15K in work with it.