Most Profitable Equipment?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by classy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like cleaning clippings from pinestraw areas either. I've tried tarps but the clippings still miss the tarps and land in the straw. What I do is blow/rake most of them and then spread a layer of fresh pine straw. I factor the straw into the job.

2. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this thread is old, but I only saw 1-2 people say this and for me it's the same. Shovels and other handtools. Today I dug out 6 diseased roses in half an hour for $90, and it took me 1 hour to put them in bags to throw away. But if I would have had my trailer with me I could have tossed them on there and made the $90 in 30 minutes and it would have only taken 1/10 of the space on my trailer and a trip to the brush place after I fill the whole trailer. I also charge around $40 per yard when moving dirt and mulch 3 guys,3 wheel barrows and 3 shovels make about $60 per person per hour. Contract labor on stuff like is easy to find. My favorite jobs have become jobs to hard for a single person to do on their own. A customer would gladly pay me $400 to have me move a 10 yard pile of dirt in to place than to take 2-4 days on their own.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

The most profitable equipment would have to be the trucks. Without the trucks, there would be no business

4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Good read
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty much true. Although I do see guys that drive around with there mowers or walk around with a push one. So there could still be a business without a truck or vehicle, but I know if I didn't have a truck I wouldn't have a business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Excluding the truck, my most profitable piece of equipment per man hour cost me less than $500.00. It's a chain-saw. Mowing brings me $45.-$50. per hour on average. A chainsaw in my hand brings me between $80. - $120. an hour.

7. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Bronze Member

My Husky 350BTS blower......sure is nice blowing out beds then mulching leaves.

8. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Compact tractor... The most versatile piece of equipment that gets the highest dollar per hour for whatever attachment it's using....

9. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Slice seeder. Can make hundreds of dollars per hour using a $4-5k machine.

Ms 180 chainsaw. cheap little baby saw....cost me $200 and have made thousands and thousands off of it. As opposed to the 066 that cost $1200 new and gets used 2-3 times per year.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to say compact tractor with aerator . And compact tractor with slit seeder .