Most Profitable Jobs!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JROD, Feb 10, 2005.

1. JROD

JROD LawnSite Member

I was just thinking today and was wondering what the most profitable landscaping jobs are. I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up, so what does everybody consider the most profitable?

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Ones that the estimated hours are beat.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I find that new construction landscape installs are very profitable. We can usually bang out one or two a day. At 3k to 5k with less than half of that being materials, it makes for a very good day! payup

Chris

4. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

the jobs where you drop an estimate off call me I do the job and you get paid!!!! :D acctually large commercial mulch jobs where you don't lift a finger would be the most profitable.

5. tomv420

tomv420 LawnSite Member

I think skid steer jobs are the best

6. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Most companies use a standard time and materials system for bidding. That way they always meet thier profit goals (when experience produces accurate bidding of course). So the most profitable jobs would be overbids, or specialty work that is hard to find contractor for... things like putting greens, water features, butterfly gardens or something new and exciting.

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

My first answer was vague ... but very true.

Now, we do really well on soil, mulch and planting. We buy very well on shrubs and grow alot of our own trees and still charge out as if we had to buy around here.

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

payup planting and mulch for us.

9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be hard to put a finger on what is "most profitable" as a whole within the industry. There are just too many factors that make us all different. Some are more efficient than others, some have better resources for materials, some have a better grasp on what a job actually takes in materials and time to put together an estimate. Some cover their overhead better than others. I've known guys who worked hard at losing money on jobs because they were afraid to lose a job to a cheaper guy. In my opinion maybe a difficult question to answer when you look at it really close.
    If I had to answer what is easiest and guaranteed to make us money I would say planting, although we really don't ever lose money on a job. We might make less than we wanted to but never enter the negative.

10. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

SNOW, SNOW, SNOW. If you don't want to count snow then, this year, hardscape work was my most profitable. However, my planting work was primarily high volume low margin builder work. It was profitable, but I just didn't see the same profits as with the hardscape. I was just as profitable on walls as pavers, so no difference there.