Most profitable non-mowing service?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Coolclay84, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Coolclay84

Coolclay84 LawnSite Member

What is your most profitable non-mower service and how does it compare to basic lawn maintainance? I'm trying to diversfy and think of somet services that will pay larger dividends than mowing alone.

I live in Houston where its warm 89% of the year so snow plowing is not an option lol. (Although if we did get a ton of snow it could prove to be a very profitable day.)

Thanks!

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Hedge trimming, tree pruning/light tree work, fert, lime, weed control, clean ups, bed installation, bed maintenance.

Then irrigation, fences, hardscape (landscape construction), retaining walls, patios, pavers, walk ways.

3. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Fert is a really profitable repeat business.

Patios/walls are great but big ticket items. Huge profits if you and your crew can work quickly, efficiently, and do high quality work. If you're not familiar with the techniques and skills, then take some adult education courses about masonry. Well worth the investment of time and money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

1. Fert/Squirt
    2. Snow Plowing
    3. Clean ups
    4. Landscaping
    5. Trimming hedges

These are not in any particular order.

5. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

For me it is fertilization. Small lawn = 5 minute job and net $20. Large lawn = 15 minute job and net $50.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

All of the above and bark mulch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

aeration . re-dye mulch areas , house gutter cleaning , and of course my night job - male stripper for the blind . and mattress tester ..

8. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Washing concrete drives at .10 cents square foot
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Top dressing and leveling lawns
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

Its my least profitable service, but I have on the back of my business card under listed services, that I would fire your current lawn care company for you. I don't charge for it haha.
    Most profitable is either irrigation repairs or tree work. Or sod or chem apps or maybe planting trees. Its all profitable when you get the bidding aspect down, run good equipment and know how to plan ahead.
    Posted via Mobile Device