1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Most Profitable Services...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Oct 6, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Just curious to see what everyone thinks are the most profitable services that they offer. I know mowing is like your "foot in the door" but there are many other services that pay better. I know mulching and cleanups work well for me to just name a few. Since I'm in college, I want to keep my good paying customers, drop the ones that are a waste of time, and do more "profitable" services one day/week. Thanks in advance!

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Turf and ornamental applications.payup
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

ferts, aerations, renovations, liming. I've had some really amazing gross with "complete renovations"
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

My scope of services is somewhat limited at this point, due to this being my first year in business and not having a pesticide app. license.

With that said, definitely core aeration for me.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

What he said!

I will say this year I'm profiting about $100/hr on aeration/fertilization/reseeding this year but that ends in about two weeks.:(
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I've made tons of money on the side jobs but they are few in between, and it is time and again the grass cutting that ALWAYS pays the bills lol.

It might seem like such a mundane thing because it's 90% of what I do, but the grass cutting pays for a lot of the equipment, the grass cutting pays my wages, it even pays for the losses or unforeseen expenses on some side jobs, it's always the grass cutting that pays for it in the end.

Now it's not always the most profitable, but I certainly have a few yards that would qualify as sweet, and it can be difficult to see how one or two grass cuts could pay for most anything, but add up a few hundred and it's a whole different story.

Whether it's the most profitable, that can be argued... Any job comes along and accidentally somehow I either over price it or it just turns out so easy that it comes out as extremely profitable, but again it's one here, one there.
    Then, I have a tendency to be less aggressive on my grass cutting prices for one reason I want a lot of customers in this department, and for another I am comfortable pricing this job most of the time, so it may not always be the most profitable, but yes, one more time, the grass cutting ALWAYS pays for it all lol.