Most profitable side services...?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Apr 13, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Just wondering what everyone has experienced and found to be their best and profitable side services. Around here aeration and powerraking do great, especially during their seasons, but I'd like to get into some other things but don't want to make bad investments trying to figure it out. I'm located in colorado near denver. Let me know. Mowing just doesn't seem to pay like it use to...especially with all the low ballers in my area. Thanks!
  2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

aerating is awsome this time of year, big bucks...we get a lot of maintenance and homes where they let it go to hell and we come in and make it look good again...Good topic though, I'm always open for hearing what other guys are doing on the side as long as its landscape related ie: not picking up dog **** or washing peoples windows....
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

aerating and pressure washing both pay well
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

aerating, power raking, and mulch
  5. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Gutters have been pretty good this year.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! ANYTHING but mowing! I can make more with a $10. shovel than what we make with a $10,000 Z. Oh, I make money at mowing, but it is no lie that it is possible to do more with a shovel.Ask anyone who does landscape installs that includes planting bushes and trees. They'll tell you.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

mulch, bed shaping, trees and shrubs.....:clapping:
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here are is:

Landscape installations
    Lawn Maintenance
  9. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to continue to set myself up for the side services...they just pay soo much better. I can name my price with things like aerations and such and no one gives me a hard time, and if they do, I tell them here's my card, call me if you find anyone else to do it for my price. Right now I'm doing aerations and power raking, along with lawn care (res.)/landscape maintenace (comm.) & snow removal. I think I'm going to get into the landscape renovations, fertilization (after I get licensed for it), sprinklers/irrigation, maybe some tree stuff (stump grinding, etc.), pressure washing and just things like that. That way over time I'll pick up the best reg. maintenance accounts to add to my current list instead of hoping and paying the price game to pick up crappy lawns every year. Tell me what you think...sound good? By the way, I'll be starting college next year, so I don't want a hugh number of reg. maintenance accounts anyways. I'd rather schedule as I have time. Thanks again!
  10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

this is kind of funny to me cause i do alot of stuff but no mowing. i think that landscape lighting is my biggest profit maker. for the cost of a dewalt 18v setup, wire stripers, and a multi meter. you can be in profit on the first install, or at least i did. i bid the first one and had to buy all the tools to install and i had 300 bucks in my pocket when i was done 10 hours later