Most rediculous customer request or complaint?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Just wondering what stories we could generate here with those things that happen every once in a while that make use pinch ourselves to make sure we aren't dreaming. I had a customer one time ask me to rake up some magnolia leaves for her. She asked me if there would be a charge, and I said, yes mam, about $25.00 or so. She said, "WHAT, my other lawn service didn't charge anything to clean up under that tree". Needless to say, I did do the leaves and she did pay the extra. I kinda thought, "what have I got myself into". And this was after the first cut where I was too early (10:00 am), too loud, too fast, lines going the wrong way, not cut close enough, etc.
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

One time this wealthy woman (read $hit don't stink) asked my Dad how much it would cost for regular lawn service. He replied we could probably do it for around $200 a month (1/2 acre on the lake). She replied, &quot;That is out of the question. I was thinking you would work for about $5 an hour.&quot; LOL<br>
  3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I aerated for a lady (regular weekly customer). Soil conditions were perfect. I'm proud of the great plugs the machine pulled...she comes out &quot;My lawn looks terrible. What's wrong with it?&quot; Things went downhill from there :)
  4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Had an old lady call this year wanting me to give an estimate on picking up her dog's crap in the yard!<br>1st thought was where's YOUR lawn guy?<br>I didn't want it, so wife's wheels started spinning, & after my input she did it. Wore gloves & baggies & in about 15 min. had $35. Can't beat that even working for GM! Easiest $$ she ever made, & never actually touched it.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

There is a company in our area which picks up dog doo they charge $9.50 for 1 day a week for the first dog 4.50 for each additional dog, any customer with a dog now gets the business card of this service. I dont do doo.<p>Bill
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Funny this came up, a customer was in his garage when I pulled up 2 days ago and said that my string trimmer was putting oil spots on his siding. He said he washed it last week and it is back. I asked him to show me.<br>When I looked I found many little spots where he showed me along with many others all over his siding in places I never trim around. After explaining that my trimmer exhaust points AWAY from his house to start with I proceeded to explain that this is Spider ****. He was dumbfounded and it took alot for me not to have him mow his own lawn.
  7. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Had a customer ask me to mow her lawn at three inches tall and therefore I did. Upon finishing the lawn she comes outside with a ruler and proceeds to measure the height of the grass. Needless to say I don't work for her anymore.<br>Got another one whose favorite warning to my crew is &quot;we're not at war with the grass&quot;!<br>She exclaims this whenever we accidentally hit a bump with the mower and scalp the grass. Last winter installed a lawn dressing soil mix to level out those bumps. Sometimes my guys still laugh when recalling her favorite comment.
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have several customers who request bagging. This is crazy. Then a few weeks ago i got a call from a lady that was looking for a new company. She demanded that her lawn be mowed (bag)(very hilly) on friday of every week, no exeptions. I bid high and get the job so its worth the money. Then she inform me that i can not be there after 4:30pm. Its dinner time and cant be disturbed. the next week i come at about 9 am. Needless to say i have a Voicemail waiting when i get in the truck b*&ching me out for mowing too early and waking her family. She doesnt want me there untill after 10:30. It turn out that she wants me to b at her house every Friday between 10:30 am and 4:30pm. This is bull sh!t.
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I had my best paying customer, a rich little out lady, ask me one afternoon to change the spikes out of her golf cleats. At first I told her I couldn't, but after she kind of whined and begged, and offered me $50 to do so, I was sitting on her front stoop changing the spikes out!! I really didn't want to sit there and do it because the shoes were probobly 25 years old at least, and I even explained to her its cheaper buying a new pair. But you know the elderly and change are like oil and water!! Anyway, I made $50 in about 20 minutes.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  10. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

A few things to consider on the above issues......<p>1. Put it in writing, have them sign.<br>2. Educate your customers and set the precedent up front. Explain why they shouldn't do it and have them relieve you of any liability associated with this ridiculous request.<br>3. Is picking up &quot;Scooter's&quot; poop a profession? Gees, I think we have enough image problems already.<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.<br>