Most Reliable Rotor - Ever - gets a tuneup

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

At over 35 years of service, this Safe-T-Lawn ball-drive rotor head was a leaker, but unlike a PGP, a leaker that can be fixed.

[​IMG]

Held together by stainless steel screws, disassembly is routine. Note the restriction where the water enters the head, which acts as a sort of surge protector.

[​IMG]

Here's the STL 'keyhole' nozzle, to which today's Rain Curtain nozzles owe their existence.

[​IMG]

Because the head had become covered in dirt and mulch, it was only necessary to clean out any dirt and grit from inside the head, and reinstall it at the proper grade. Back in business.

[​IMG]

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

long live the 2" rotor. :rolleyes:

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I like all the metal. Nice work.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In the days of hand-dug trenches and no funny-pipe swing joints, a rotor in a 4-inch high package was very much appreciated. Many of their competitors didn't even pop up as high as an inch.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

That's Awesome!

I don't believe I have come across that kind of rotor.
    I give you props for taking the time to repair an old head rather then most of us just replacing it.

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

VERY curious..... what was your cost analysis between the above repair and a new replacement? Of course, if this was done for a paying customer.

7. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, yes. With typical turf growth by Tuesday the spray pattern took on a whole new look.

8. Boots you need to learn to let go. Clickity Clack addictions are a sad thing.

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Ahhh, that brings back memories!
    The rotor that I really miss is the old "Rain-Pro" rotor, those suckers had great coverage!

10. You are as old as me then. Are you a fan of the stream rotor? (I am) We have some serious arguments over this one.