1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Most Successful Coupon offered

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Wiedmann, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Wiedmann

Wiedmann LawnSite Member

Looking to design some flyers and door hangers this spring. Been talking some on here about this topic in general on other forums but I got to thinking what coupons I should offer on my flyers and door hangers to get people to either call me or go to my website to visit. Anyone willing to share of some deals or coupons they have offered in the past that have really sparked some calls and helped gain clients?

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a 90 percent off coupon that generated a lot of business for me. I lost a lot of money, but hey, I had a lot of customers.

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously, a percentage off isn't as good as an actual amount off or a first time service for x amount of dollars. People figure that if you give a percent off, you will just go up that percentage to come down. Even though you could do the same thing for a specific dollar amount off, it sounds better to say 10 dollars off instead of 10 percent off.

I did a coupon once that gave a free mowing after so many were paid for. Got some calls on that....Who doesn't love free.

4. BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about to to do a 50% off of first month. This will go out in 2 round of 5k targeted at 100k and up in income. I'll keep you posted on the response. Just as a side note I only offer this on full service 12m contract accounts that include mowing/fert/aeration/leaf removal/mulch once a year and shrubs done 2xs. So all the extras should help with the % off plus the first month the 50% off is required to be paid at signing so this should help to weed out pitas & nonpays. I probaly wouldn't do this but I'm breaking into a new market and I want to fill at least 3 days of weekly work.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I did $25 for your first cut last year. The fine print read new customers only, up to 1/2 acre, bagging extra. I did get a few one time cuts for $25 but most were happy and signed up for my services. Most of these properties turned into $40-50 a week. At least my expenses were covered with that offer. I only had one person argue that their property was less than a 1/2 acre when I said it was larger. I just gave the guy the cut for $25 anyway. He ended up not wanting to continue service. I am planning to put the same offer on my postcards again this year.

6. Wiedmann

Wiedmann LawnSite Member

I was thinking of the following as possibilities--

10% off new seasonal agreements of either mowing or weed control

20% Spring Clean ups over $100

2 free mowings with sign up of 2012 seasonal agreement

10% labor of mulch installment

or even some sort of aeration coupon as well.

I would only pick 2 of these coupons to place on my flyers and hangers.

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I sent out a mailer a few weeks ago and got quite a few calls, although it has slowed down a lot faster than I thought. Maybe they will pick up again when we get to mowing.

Anyway I had 2 specials on my cards.

1. free soil test with season weed control program
    2. free crab grass preventor with monthly mowing program
    ----i also had a line below the specials that said customer and pre pay discounts available.

They did not work at all. I got good response but only 2 people mentioned the specials and both were current customers and wanted the soil test!! I was happy to do it since it is a chance for an upsale, but I thought those were pretty good. I don't do contracts and hate giving a big discount upfront in fear of cancelattion. Maybe I just suck it up casue apparently thats what people want to here. I got 5-6 new prepays and with round 1 will give current customers the chance for prepay in the invoice.

I'm also wondering what demographic a discount really works. Seems saving $20 for a high end client isn't that meaningful. Ususally they want the best job. while lower targeted homes love a discount.

8. TheBetterDoorhanger

TheBetterDoorhanger Sponsor

Do you have a printer yet? We are a family owned printing business in Kansas and we would love to make your flyers & door hangers for you! We have such great prices & we do a top notch job. If you call me (my name is Robin) I'll send you a FREE sample pack of our products so you can take a look at the quality.We can help you design your coupon & we even have some free design services. We can put a perforated coupon on your door hanger for you too. The options are limitless. I also have to mention Band-It & Stick-It. These are our innovative attachments that will take your ads to the next level & impress the pants off of your customers. Take a look & then call me with any questions! :) http://www.adeasprinting.com/perforated-door-hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
    Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products

www.AdeasPrinting.com
    robin@adeasprinting.com
    (316) 269-2494 ext. 204
    (866) 251-3181 fax
    719 S. St. Francis
    Wichita, KS 67211

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

**Important guys, if you do direct mail, to state that discounts are for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY** Because inevitably some existing customers of yours may also get the postcards and call you wanting a discount.

10. Wiedmann

Wiedmann LawnSite Member

Great point DA! I have that wrote down on my coupons but for someone who didn't it could really cause some problem lol