most time consuming part of lawn service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what is the most time consuming part of servicing a lawn? this question mainly for solo, or 2 man crews. thanx
  2. LawnSite Senior Member

Waking up in the morning.
  3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

If you ment for just the lawn, then ill have to say wipping.
    In general i cant stand pulling out the hedge clippers.
  4. LawnSite Senior Member

Ohhh u meant when I actually get out to the job itself. Ouring trimming up here is faster then the mowing usually. As far as time consuming.....misplacing my work gloves or safety googles and having to look for them before I start.
  5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Most time consuming: Trying to leave a finished lawn when the customer is an old lonely lady who won't stop talking to you.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It seems as if it is the string trimming, when you are comparing time to what all exactly is getting done. Shrubs go pretty slow, too.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

runner, i meant grass cutting. what is the most time consuming part, and, the most energy consuming
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Good question ......

Fore us ..... last year total man hours was 7650 ..... total mower hours was 1850 .... so that's 5000 hours off the mower

Here's a scary one ... the miles on the trucks from Sept to April was just over 3200 .... we work in a small 15-10 mile dia area .... even if the trucks averaged 35 miles per hour ( which is stretching it) that 91 hours of windshield time .... with 4 workers thats 365 hours sitting in a truck ... if the average speed was 20 its 640 hours if it was 40 mph 320 hours .... & this is 4 months during our "off' Season
  9. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

edging for sure. i edge sidewalks, curbs, and driveways every 3 visits with a w/b gas edger. on corner lots with circular driveways it is very time cosuming but i have never actually timed it out to the minute.
  10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm picking the grass up, then thats the most time and energy consuming. Next it has to be the trim. I have some yards that are on huge hills and my legs burn as I'm making my way around the lawn weed whacking. On less your pushing a a mower, mowing doesn't take that much time or effort.

If you are organized and have everything in order. Loading and unloading equipment shouldn't take that long either. For some that may be time consuming.