1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Most Unusual Phone Call Today...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Jun 2, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Phone rings and I asnwer. The guy says, "this is so and so and such address and I would like to cancel my lawn service, I just don't need it anymore" This is not one of my current customers I say "ok, would you like an estimate" He says, "no no, I don't want you guys to come anymore, I am feeling better and am going to mow it myslef now, bill me for what ever I owe you, I think its for four or five cuts" It took several more minutes before I convinced him that I was NOT his current service provider. After he realized it, he was so embaressed he just hung up. I thought his name was familier, so I looked in my records, and low and behold, I did some bush trimming and mulching for him two years ago. He must have had my card somewhere and thought that it was me mowing his lawn:dizzy:
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

shouldve sent him a bill and say youll cancell him
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought of that actually, but it was after I hung up.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

People are nuts. I have a customer that never recieves mail. EVER. You can send it anyway everyday and they will never get it. BS! You must hand deliver any invoices, estimates, etc. Furthermore they won't call when they need something, instead we will be mowing and they will come out and say something like when are you going to seed or fert or thatch or whatever. As if I should have done it yesterday. The funny part is that these options are never choosen when contracts are dealt with.

The best part is that I am full service, lawns to pools, and they will only use my lawn service. But we always take the Blue truck to their house, always. You know with lettering and all. I have dealt with these people for 3 years now. You would think they know me or at least my company. Now my neighbor started a company 2 years ago and did some crazy hack job on some mulch a few weeks ago for the same people, just by chance. He drives a bright red truck. The last 2 times we showed up in the blue truck to mow they come out looking confused and ask are you XXXXX XXX Landscaping? I look at the lady like do you even remember me? Then explain again who we are and go to work.

Maybe she hired them while under my contract, but I'll get paid anyways. Or maybe she truley has no idea what is going on. That is except how to make a margarita at 10 AM. Oh yeah we refer to this client not by name or address, but everyone knows her as Margarita Lady. And we always sing Jimmy Buffet before starting the equipment. What this has to do with anything, I don't know. But people are nuts.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i work for a guy who owns an old popcorn wagon, we refer to him as the "popcorn dude"
  6. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Years ago I dropped an account for non-payment and got a call from them 3 months later asking why I hadn't been there that week. They actually wanted me to continue their service. Anyway I never worked for them again and they even sent a check for the balance owed.
  7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a mate of mine always making prank calls on me.selling this or that does a really good job with accents and never bursts out laughing.now one day get this call ,this guy has a terrible stutter,i mean bad it was taking far long to get things out .i think to myself it has to be stuie,so i let out a giggle and said stuie piss off im busy and hung up on him.to cut a long story short it wasnt stuie.this guy with stutter persisted and was legitimate .i ended up doing a job for guy
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I got a call from joe pesci today trying to sell me equipment. I swear it's the same idiots that called me a few months ago trying to sell me hats and I kept saying I don't want them and he ended up saying I wasn't a client they'd want. This guy kept trying to sell me stuff and I told him I don't need any of that so he says "well i don't call you when you need it, i call you when I have a deal"...WTF is with these people and their selling tactics!!!!

I ended up getting pizzed and told him to get bent and call someone who cares.

I swear this guy sounded like Joe Pesci, I was waiting to hear "What do I amuze you, buy this f'n extention cord or I'll f'n wack you!"
  9. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

My time is valuable, so I usaully just hang up with out responding.
  10. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Sorry Garth didnt realise i was causing you problems i will stop it now!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: