most unusual tip?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

cut my new customer today, in the pouring rain. you probly saw my thread, "would you do it?" well, the deal is, i have to cut her lawn, using her murry push mower(no self propelled) . so i went today. the thing is set "right where she likes it", you know, about an inch!! well she lets me into the garage, and proceeds to show me how to start it. "pump this little button 3 times, hold this lever, and start it up." great. so i cut the lawn, make a mess, clean it up, turn the mower over, blow it off best i can. in the meantime, the pizza delivery guy shows up. well, i get finished. she gives me the check for the mow, three one dollar bills, and a large pizza! you believe it? a pizza for a tip. what a nice lady. but i don't know how long i can push that mower around. ever get anything besides money as a tip?

2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Bobby, you'll need to keep pushing that mower if she's feeding you pizzas.

3. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

Three dollers how big is the yard??

4. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

customers give me pop sometimes

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yard is about 2k of turf

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The only tip I ever get is " You should of gone to an institute of higher education"

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, soft drinks when it is hot out, and this one lady will give me a bag of paperback books every once in awhile. Never thought of these things as a tip though.

8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

I had people tell me maybe a should seek another line of work. Not really j/k. Nothing besides money and that is not very frequent.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer years ago who owned a huge Portuguese restaurant in Newark NJ. One time I was there at his home (when I was solo) he asked if I would have lunch with him. Since I was there all day (place was like 11 acres), I said, "sure, why not".

Well, he cooked outside on this huge grill Filet Mignons, twice baked potatoes, came out with fresh bread, tossed salad, and a big thing of Sangria.

An hour later I was ready for my siesta (nap). Best tasting tip I ever had btw...

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Bobby, Tip?? What the h*ll is a tip? I'm lucky if I get paid on time. One time and one time only got a couple extra dollars tossed in that was it.