motivation is gone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

lately, i have no motivation at all about my business. the work is getting done, well most of it, but it seems a struggle every morning to get going, then every minute of the work day, i'm thinking about other things besides what i'm doing. i wake up in the morning hoping to see rain so i have an excuse not to cut grass, and from the time we start, i'm thinking when is it time to go home. just a complete and total lack of motivation. it seems like only a month ago, i was a ball of fire, now i'm nothing more than grey ashes. ever get in a "slump" for awhile? i know we all have a day or two when we just don't feel like it, but, have you ever had a month or two when you've felt like that?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This whole last season I felt like this. Ive been doing this for 21 years now and feel like I (and my body) have just had it. Ive dropped alot of customers this season and believe it or not, I am alot happier. I do 20 accounts now (as opposed to 130+ in the past) so that is a huge difference.

My discalimer: I do have backup income, so I am 'allowed' to have this attitude......

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a couple weeks where i felt like that. But then usually come around the end of the month when the $$$$$$$$4 starts rollin in, i remind myself....It would taken me a while to make this much at another job. Today....I AM READY TO GO...This will be my last day cutting for a LONG while...I leave for college tomorrow, and am turning the business over to someone else for the time being.

Trevor

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is just this time of year. By mid-August I am feeling shot. I told my wife I feel like I'm in that movie "Groundhog Day" where Bill Murray re-lives the same day over and over. Every day is the same. But by the time clean-ups begin, I usually get my second wind and that gets me through the fall.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

bob,
    i call that the roller coaster affect. i get that all the time. weeks on the ball, then, weeks of "...well, was HAS to get done this week." normal. you'll get over it. i got my first call yesterday saying 'where are you, the grass is tall.'
    is all your work close to home? i purposely schedule all my neighborhood work for the first day of maintenance of the week. Amigo starts cutting, while i getting dressed an ease into work mode... works so far.
    right this second, mower running outside, coffee half drank, me almost dressed,... easing into workmode. i better go:)

6. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

I know where your coming from.

Lately I have had some rough roads to cross and it seems like an uphill battle. I think this is going to be my last season but keep maybe ten or fifteen accounts on the side. The competition is fierce and there is no sign of it going away. With Bushes economic package( ya right) it seems that 7 out 10 poeple laid off enters the lawn care business.

Sure, there is enough work to go around but that only lasts so long and the Pita's know it. We all know that senior citizens are on a fixed budget and if your primarily residental then it tough to make a buck because they shop for the lowest bid. ( Who could blame them. There medicines are expensive and when they try to buy cheaper from another country the are critized.)

Anyhow, my drive is also down and I'm thinking about finding another area to get into. Maybe I will go and buy auctioned parts and resell them back to the government at inflated prices:rolleyes:

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, I feel it also, but not real bad. I find myself reading more on the subject of getting out of working in the business and more working on the business. I am still part time, but would like to go full time next season. The passionate hate for my current job is my motivation for me to do what I need to do now. I dream of having people work for me and focusing on my goals is a great motivation factor.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How can that be Bobby? If I had your hours, your amigo and income.. I'd be lovin' life! :p

You are not alone... I've felt that way for the last... I dunno.............. 5 years maybe...

I think I'm finally starting to snap out of it. :D

9. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I usally start to get my energy back in september when the weather starts to cool down.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

They always say "don't do something you love for a job, because evenutally you start to hate it"

I am starting to hate doing this. Same $#!+, differen't day. Which is why I am try to start doing more landscaping and less mowing. But I know if I quit. Give it a year or so and I would be back.