Motivation!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ok4me2xlr8, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any ideas that work for keeping workers motivated

2. bluflame1914

bluflame1914 LawnSite Member

drinks in the cooler, feed them for lunch, time a lawn job. (ex. 30 min. or less.) little things make the difference.

3. ok4me2xlr8

thanks man i have had the same people working for me for about 4 months now but they are starting to slack off some but when they try they are great!!!

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I would say give them a raise, but that won't last long.

Perhaps a "performance bonus"?

5. ok4me2xlr8

yea i am raised out but the other sounds pretty good!!!

6. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

how about a percentage of any new business they get signed up for a full 12 month contract. Say 5%....the more business they bring in, the more they make..it's like they are a partner. 5% of 1k is $50...if they do that a few times it's like a nice raise, and you will be rolling in the dough...and if they are slackers...any potential customers will know it and you won't see the new business.

7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have personally found that if a person has a work ethic that is decent, a little respect and proper pay do the job. If they do not have a decent work ethic, but enough to keep on showing up, there is nothing you can do. You will keep giving and giving and giving, and they will keep taking and taking and taking.

It's tough anymore.

Tim

8. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Good ideas , and I think bluflame hit the nail on the head - it is the little things that are often the most effective. However , I think that motivation will always be a challenge in our industry.

9. bluflame1914

bluflame1914 LawnSite Member

What I have learned over the years is that good help is always hard to find. My uncle and I used to have a couple of guys work for us but they all had habits. one always needed a beer, one always had to smoke, it just got to the point we just work by ourselves. we gets things done with a 2 man crew but that 3rd man sure helps a lot.

10. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

Have you tried asking them why they slowed down? Maybe they didn't notice.