Motivational speakers creat low ballers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Nov 22, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Just watching this guy at MSNBC last nite and he is telling everyone to pursue your dreams. MAke your passion, part time biz anything a full time business adventure. He is stating all the people that succeed with great wealth within a couple years be it a flower biz or an accountant. He then goes on that in order to get biz NOW you need to market yourself, lower price of your service and check out the competition.

That there is a proven concept of a false right and hope to great wealth within any industry. No where in his speach did he state any figures about X% of all biz lose money in first 3 yrs or x% fall due to XYZ reasons. Now I am not just putting this out there to the lowballer guy on lawnsite but I see so many people starting out with inhertiance, bank money or 401K money with a false idea of making a million dollars within a year.

My 2 cents for the day - gotta go eat turkey at my parents - so round up the kids!

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried for a bank loan, they said your money awaits you beyond those double doors and found myself in Alley ...
    Never think starting out on your own will be successful, thats just hook, line and sinker...
    Starting a business takes money, patience and enduring the hard times ....Money doesn't just fall in your lap...
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I know a guy that has burned through his retirement money from a utility company in the last 12 years in the business. I can't understand why he keeps on going its like a gambling addiction like this will be the year he begins to make money...
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Back from parents - kids need nap. Talking with my bro-in-law who is a lawyer in St Paul / Minn. area - he has said the same thing. One of the firms ptners cashed, left and started his own biz. He is now talking with the firm to coming back to work in the legal field - mid 40's and went thru all his money he ever saved. Time to start over!

Thing is people are out there who think the grass is greener. Sometimes i think I should have a "regular" job instead of running biz all hours during the day and nite, babysitting employees gets to old after a while, equipment - new, used, repair, list goes on. But i am still here! As I get older - it is still the money but I find it more rewarding for the job that we finished - be it mowing, landscaping etc and time to do what I want. But headaches are there as well.
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Headaches are there for sure, but I can't take the corporate thing. We had a thread about that a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes I feel like it would be better to work a "regular" job. But I have to slap myself and remind myself that I have been there already. That is why I work for myself now. I get to make the rules and schedule. The thing is, I probably cut myself out of $8-10K every year because I turn down work, and I have raised prices. But I decided that there are other things in life that are important besides just making money and besides working 12 hours every day. May sound odd, but that is one of the reasons I started my business.
    If people do start a business they are crazy for lowballing. I mean, it is one thing if you don't know better. But it should not take very long before you figure it out. Why do this type of work if you are losing money? To me competition would mean everyone offering about the same price. It really gets me how you can take 5 or 6 LCOs and have them bid for maintenance on the same property, and you will get prices all over the map. Some even double another's price. Either someone is going to be out of business or someone is raking in the $$$$.