motor decisions-what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clipslawnservice, Jul 27, 2006.

1. clipslawnservice

clipslawnservice LawnSite Member

I need to buy a second ztr and I am looking at scag turf tiger 61" with a water cooled,DFI injected 29 h.p. Kaw. or the 27 h.p. kohler air cooled, carb.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Tough decision. Im not a kawi fan but water cooled and DFI would be nice. Make sure your dealers mechanics have been trained properly to work on a DFI engine. Its a whole new beast and leave most regular mechanics scratching their heads when it has a problem. It starts easy with no choke, uses less fuel and is more responsive than a carbed engine.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would love that engine 29 hp wc efi Kaw. But I'm sure its alot more money and you can buy another Kohler for about $1500 if you ever need one. Like he said make sure you have a good mechanic that knows his efi if you buy the Kaw. The 27 Kohler is a simple but proven engine that's stood the test of time. How much difference are we talking $$$. If I had the extra money I would like the Kawasaki.

4. clipslawnservice

clipslawnservice LawnSite Member

OOOps sorry guys forgot to mention tha kaw is a horizontal shaft with a new shaft drive to a gear box on the deck,the kohler is a verticle shaft with the norm belt drive.....

5. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the Kohler they generally have more torque than Kaw. I'm not sure on the 29 hp, but we have a 20hp Kaw and a 20hp Kohler and the Kohler doesn't bogg down anywhere near as much as the Kaw.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we have a Scag 61" Turf Tiger L/C DFI 29 Hp we are demoing right now. i ran it for about 5-6 hours today, and only used maybe a 1/4 tank of gas,maybe a 1/2 at the most. i mowed some very tall very wet grass today and after 2 passes i was out of there. didnt clump,clog, bog down or anything. the only thing that would keep me from getting the Kaw would be the price. i got a quote of $11,000.