motor exchange on WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 13, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

How involved is it to exchange a motor on a walk behind that's a belt drive? In this case, a Briggs motor. if i replaced it with another briggs, the similar HP, are they all basically the same mount specs, or do you have to drill out? and removing the pulley's underneath, I've never done anything like that. are they a pain in the butt to get off? ANd on a wb with no safety shut off on the handles, there shouldn't be any electrical to hook up, just the throttle.

this is a 32" kees. I'm rebuilding the carb now, and if it doesn't work, i'm throwing thre motor in the garbage and getting a new one. saw one on eabay today, brand new 10.5 hp, $305 with $50 delivery!

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 1989 bobcat I put a 2000 15 horse kawaski on mine and last year I replaced all the spindles. All together costed 1000 and mower is like new.

3. millerlc

millerlc LawnSite Member

Earlier this season my Toro 52" Proline WB motor became lose. I was actually given the mower from a commerical landscaper. It's now 12 years old! With orginal Kholer 12 HP motor. I had to lift the motor off the frame in the spring. The landscaper didn't keep everything tight. The four bolts holding the motor down had loosen and two broke off in the motor. I lifted the motor off, hung it in a tree and cleaned it. Then with a small drill bit, i drilled the bolt that broke off in the motor just enought that i could unscrew the bolt. It's not hard at all to remove the motor and replace it. Just make sure you check the throttle is set correctly when finished.
    Good luck should only take a few hours at most with a new engine.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

FGA- I replaced the motor on my 48" Scag last year. But it was the identical 14 Kawi that I replaced it with. It really wasn't bad, it took me about 2 hours. I needed the wheel puller to pop off the pulley on the underside of the motor, and other than that, it was pretty basic. Like BMFD52 said, it is like a new machine. I would go for it.

5. fga

thanks guys, i definetly feel i can take it on, if need be. i'm trying the carb rebuild, hope it works. I think all the little odds and ends i've been spending like coils, start assemblies, carb rebuilds,etc.etc........ i think I've spent more then it cost to buy a new engine. I'm just stubborn some times:eek:

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

This Briggs 18 twin came out of a riding lawn tractor, on a 36 hydro now. Only thing I had to do was bend in the hyd tank alittle.

36 frankinmachine 003.jpg

7. fga

wriken, i have a few questions......

1) did you have to drill out new mounting holes being the motor is 18 hp?

2) that's an electric start, was it a pain trying to hook that on on your wb?

3) did you have to rig up a place to keep the battery?

i have a huge twin cylinder briggs on a rider tractor, with almost no time on it. was debating doing what you did, but thought it might be alot better in the long run to go with a recoil. How has it been holding up, do you wind up with dead batteries?

8. wriken

Its holding up great, my dealer wired it so it would charge the battery, I used all new wiring, got rid of the wiring harness from the tractor. I welded a platform for the batter behind the hydro's and frame, will see if I have a pic of that. The battery is below and to the right of the filter. oh ya bolted right in. Looks alittle crude, but cuts great, we use it just about daily.

36 frankinmachine 001.jpg

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Fga, you shouldn't have any real problems with a swap. If I were you, and you plan on keeping the machine for a long time, I'd swap a BIG motor on it like 15-18 hp.

10. wriken

bigger motor is great, look how it makes this cub cut.:)

mvc-036s.jpg