1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

motor graders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by westcoh, Jan 11, 2010.

1. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

A 140 or 870 will work out great for snowplowing. The township my ranch is in uses 2 872s and the extra traction does help, but they're pushing v-plows on the front lift group. That said, they're the government and have money to burn. If do start looking at 6wd graders i think deere has the best system, especially the older deeres compared to older cats.
  2. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

Alright, bringing this thread back. I've been looking at a lot of graders recently, and while I'd really like a cat g series, the price these things bring is unreal. So, what do you think is a better buy, an older higher hour cat g series, or a slightly newer(90's era) john deere/champion with lower hours?

Whatever I end up with I plan on going through it front to back and reconditioning whatever needs attention. I don't expect it'll get a ton of hours every year, but I plan on running it forever basically and need something reliable.
  3. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

I was a little off earlier a 870 is closer to 160/14 than a 140. If you wanna look at deere, $50K should fetch a 770CH or really nice 770B. If you want an AWD i saw several 772B's for under $50K and one kinda rough looking 772CH on machinery trader. I have no knowledge of the B series, reliability, parts availability ect, but i do know that my townships really liked there CH's and D's. Champion was bought by Volvo CE sometime ago so any Volvo dealer should be able to do parts/service. Champion now makes compact graders. One of which specs against the retired Deere 570 and can be had in AWD, but i digress.