1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Motor Gurus I have a question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Heres my delima, I can buy a hustler with a air cooled Kawi or liquid cooled. Which would you buy about 800.00 difference, Im thinking longevity.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

won't make any difference if you don't take care of it. air cooled's that are taken care of can last 2000 hrs easily. Many last twice as long if taken care of. Liquid cooled's probably last a bit longer, i don't know any numbers on them sorry. If you can afford it get the liquid cooled. Friend has a 27 LQ on his Lazer and loves it!
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Liquid cooled is the way to go! A cooler running engine will generally last longer, so I believe the larger investment up front is worth it!
  4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

5. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

Liquid-cooled. We bought a G-hopper last year with the liquid-cooled Kubota diesel. Any mower I buy from now on will be liquid-cooled diesel.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's probably a wash. The longer life of the LC has to be balanced against the higher cost plus time value of the higher investment.

LC's also are a little more complex, and perhaps prone to damage of their cooling system. How much does an A/C replacement engine of that size cost? Is this a mower that will be piling on high hours? Or will you want to replace it before the engine dies anyway? I always have 2 or 3 mowers in use , so I never wear out an engine. I'm ready for a better unit with newer technology before that occurs. But if you're piling on the hours and it'll be worn out in 2 years, the LC might be a good choice. Hard to say for sure.