1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Motor Oil In Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jgtxusa, Jan 30, 2005.

1. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

We have been using pennoil sae 30 weight for a while now, but a lot of mechanics tell me a probably need to change to a multi-viscosity like a 15-40. My engines are all Kaw up to 29 hp and a few 5.5 Hondas. I was just curious what all of you are using. Thanks for the help.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

30W is what I use.
  3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Quaker State 10W-30 all year round, in all of my 4 cycle engines. I have been using it for years with no problems at all.
  5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

30W here too !!
  6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We use 10w-30 in all mowers sold and most that are repaired.
  7. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

10-30 In Evrything
  8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

multi viscosity oils have additives in them to make them light wieght when cold and heavy wieght when hot,,,,,you should not use a multi wieght oil unless it calls for it!
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

In my climate most all engine manufacturers used to recommend straight 30
    now with ohv engines honda & kaw recommend 10-30, I use 10-30 durablend :cool2:
  10. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

15-40 is designed for diesel engines. It has an extremely high amount of detergents in it. The manufactures know what works best in their engines, i would follow their recommendations. I'm certain if you put 15-40 in a gasoline engine you will void the warranty. I use 30 wt and 10-30 as recommended.