1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Motor Oil - WHich type/Brand?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Doogiegh, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere riding lawn mower, RX-75. I just changed the oil and picked out Mobil 5W-30 to put in.

Too late now, but my question is what motor oil do you guys use for your lawn equipment and what thickness? I'll be changing it again very soon as I don't know the full repair history of this mower (bought it used, runs great), so I'll change the oil again probably after 10-15 hours of use. The manual says to use anything that is 30 grade, and I'll switch to 10W-30 once it gets warmer out. (next change)

Do you guys use Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil, or any other particular brand that Pep Boys carries as long as it's a name brand??

Anyone use Synthetic such as Mobil -1?

Any why does it need 1.1 Liters or 2.3 pints, when oil comes in QUARTS, of which 1 quart is .946 liters? So I had to use 1 quart and then like 30% of a second bottle. <G>
  2. floydboy

floydboy LawnSite Member

I would recommend using only 30w oil in your equiptment unless it is a Honda engine or a Kohler Magnum. Normally they use
    10w-30. As for brand names I use Shell as our break in oil and we use factory oils in our shop. Such Briggs engine gets Briggs oil, Honda engine gets Honda oil etc. But I think alot of the oils are made by the big oil companies such as Valvoline & Exxon. Additives are just added for factory specs. So in closing, you can probaly use about any oil as long as it is 30w. We use mobil 1 synthetic in our hydraulic systems for our commercial Z riders. I hope that sheds a little light on the subject.:angel:
  3. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

I agree with the advice to use straight 30 weight oil. The only
    exception would be engines with hydraulic lifters, which should
    use 10w30. Under no circumstance should you use 10w40,
    it breaks down and destroys engines. The Kohler that comes
    to mind that has hydraulic lifters is the Command series.
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I use Shaeffer's mostly. It allows me to go extended drain intervals, and they even give you free analysis on your oil to determine what is a proper time to change your oil. I have been very happy with the product. I have used Penzoil with success as well. During the year I go straight 30.

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

wolf's head motor oil for the past umpteen years.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Opti-4 is all I use in my equipment. 2 yr add'l warenty if you use it from the start on a new motor.
  7. mud_man93

mud_man93 LawnSite Member

I have tried all different typs of oil now i ues the cheapest 5w-30 i can find i have been doing this for about 2 years with no problem
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Keep us informed in 2 more years.