Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by A&M Landscaping, Feb 23, 2006.

1. A&M Landscaping

A&M Landscaping LawnSite Member

What type of motor oil do you prefer and does it help with the amount of gas consumption.

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, the type of motor oil I use doesnt make much difference. if it does, I cant tell. but for what its worth, I run mobil synthetics in everything I can.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Rotella 15W40 in my truck, and Rotella SAE-30 in all of my equipment that calls for 30 weight. Everything else I just use Pennzoil in, because it is usually already pre measured (20oz.) for smaller equipment such as pushmowers and such that only require 20oz. But for the JD stuff, I use JD Torq-Gard.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I havent noticed much difference in gas consumption. I used John Deere 10-30 in my equipment and Shell Rottella 15-40 in my aoutmobiles and trucks. Im not sure now, but a couple of years ago JD oil was Shell oil. Late last fall I switched EVERYTHING to Shell15-40 and only have 1 oil to keep track of now

wayne

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing but Castrol in everything.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The only oil we run is Valvoline. Every major NASCAR and NHRA team engine builder that I know installs Valvoline in their engines, even those sponsored by major oil companies. There is no oil to date that has been able to withstand the abuse under extreme conditions as Valvoline oils will withstand.

7. A&M Landscaping

I have never heard of this type of oil. I know its made by shell. Is this type of oil better in the equipment than a leanding compateter like vavoilne.

8. A&M Landscaping

I have never heard of this type of oil. I know its made by shell. Is this type of oil better in the equipment than a leading competitor.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Its a diesel grade of motor oil. The Company I worked for, we used it to service anything from push mowers to long haul trucks. Pickups that would idle around a factory all day and never see any highway mileage and fok lifts and Cat loaders. IT served us well, never had an oil related issue. I couldnt believe that some of those high idle engines were not gummed up when we removed valve covers. That is why I use it. I think any major brand of oil is good, the main thing is to service the filters and change the oil on a regular schedule

wayne

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I run ROTELLA in my trucks and just standard sae 30 weight in my mowers and small equipment. I always change my oil in the trucks at 2.5-3 monthes or 2500 to 3000 miles. The oil may come out somewhat clean but I don't mind if it means the truck will be around 30,000 miles longer! To me, keeping the oil and filters changed on equipment is the easist way to ensure good running performance. It's cheap enough so its stupid not to keep your oil changed.

How does the rottella do when you run it in your mowers? I have never done anything like that but if it would mean just having to buy 1 kind of oil I would definitly do that!