Motor Oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 22, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Getting a 20HP Kolher engine and wondering which oil to run. Do you run straight 30 or a multi-grade or do you run syntehic oils? I appreciate all comments. Thanks, Mowman

2. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I run mobil one 15w 40 weight in my kohler and kawasaki engines. My engine runs so smooth and queit and it will probably not have any problems for a long time. I run synthetic oil after the first 200 hours and before that i just use regular 30 weight. Mobil one is the best stuff. Also if you want to buy some prolong and put a little in, there will be a big improvement in smootheness asnd maybe higherr rpms too. Some dont like additives but this stuff works the best ive tried them all.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The Command engines have hydraulic lifters and it is recommended not to run straight 30 weight oil in them. You need to use a mulitgrade oil, like 10W30 or 15W40 in them. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

We run Chevron Delo 400 15-40 in everything. Trucks, tractors,mowers. One oil for the whole fleet. Buy quality oil, name brands only. Chevron, Union are all we will use.<p>13 trucks<br>3 tractors<br>2 trenchers<br>1 Sand Pro<br>7 Riding mowers<br>whole s--- load of small engines.

5. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Use mobile 1 in the hydro, and engine.

6. JerrysLawnService

JerrysLawnService Guest

Mowman, I had a lifter rapping problem in my<br>Kohier 22hp. The Kohler rep said to run their<br>Kohler 10w-30 oil in the motor and it would<br>solve the problem! We changed the oil and<br>took it out and really worked it. Kohler was<br>right no more rapping.Kohler said it has special additives to keep it cooler. Hope this helps.<br>good luck!

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

these Kohlers are getting some bad press. YEESSSSSHHHH!!!<p>GEO

8. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Geo, I hear ya.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

9. kaiserscuts

kaiserscuts LawnSite Member
    from N.J

have exmark with 14hp kawasaki the best&use 30wt but may try synthetic oil ?

10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Exmark Laser with a 23hp Laser and two Turf Tracers with Kohlers I will only use Mobil one. It is the best.