Motor oil ?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by LanierLawnCare, Mar 7, 2003.

1. LanierLawnCare

LanierLawnCare LawnSite Member

Will running 5-30 Mobel 1 synthetic in my 23 Koler harm it in any way?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the post. You could run a 5w-30, but I know that under most operating circumstances, Kohler recommends using 10w-30 instead. They state in their manual that "use of a synthetic oil having 5w-20 or 5w-30 rating is acceptable, up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit." Check you engine owner's manual to be sure.

If you're going to use a synthetic oil, make sure that you give that engine time to break in. Run it for 150 or 200 hours with regular, petroleum based oil. After that, you can start running the synthetic oil.

I can't tell you if, by running the synthetic oil, you will be able to extend your oil change intervals. The problem is that part of the reason why you change your oil is because it gets dirty. You can't keep dirt from getting into the engine, which is why you have to change it. You may still have to change your oil every 50 or 100 hours, even with the synthetic. I would also ask Kohler about synthetic oils. After all, the engine warranty is going to go through them, not Exmark.

Here is a link to Kohler's homepage - http://www.kohlerengines.com/contact.html. Contact me if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Dustin

dustin.schwab@exmark.com
    402/223-6212

3. LanierLawnCare

LanierLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks.Do you think sythetic gives better protection and less breakdown than regular oil?

4. taylob

taylob LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yes you can use synthetic oil but Kohler does recommend that you still change oil at the standard intervals. And it will not void your warranty. Unless you put additives in with the oil, most additives do not do well with air cooled engines due to the higher temperatures the engine operates in. and that most additives were designed for water cooled engines for the automotive industries.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Taylob,

Good answer.

Synthetics fine after the initial break in (I prever the 2nd or 3rd oild change), they do not extend the change interval and most additives are not a good idea for your lawnmower engine.

Thanks

Terry