1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle - A tax write off??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KirbysLawn, Jun 6, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Was thinking how I would like to have a motorcycle, nothing fancy just something to ride around. Was thinking of making a mobile spraying set-up and pull it with the cycle.

Since it's hot and I must spray in jeans and long sleeves in the summer I figured it would be great to cool down betwen jobs. Any comments or reasons why this would not be a legit setup or tax write off?
  2. You got to have some way to go see customers and give estimates. Although my accountant wouldn't't let me write off my jet ski, said IRS wouldn't't believe I needed it to mow an island in the middle of the river.
  3. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

even if you REALLY did use it for business, you would have to prorate the business and personal use.

Use it 5% for biz you deduct 5% of the cost. It's not 100% and an IRS agent is NOT going to believe you use it 100% for biz unless you have an odometer/or hour meter and can document the biz mileage.

An ATV though is more likely and more functional as REAL biz equipment.
  4. The Green Way

The Green Way Banned

Why not put a sprayer on the back of the motorcycle! I bet it could hold a couple gallon container and then take a pic with you on it for promotional purposes! That would seem to be a good way to get a 100% write off, even if the spayer can pop off the bike with a screw or two LOL