Motorcyle oil for mower engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thejck, Apr 4, 2014.

1. thejck

thejck LawnSite Member

I have 2 mowers with a 19hp Kawasaki and a 25hp Briggs engines in them.

I was talking to a friend who recommended synthetic motorcycle oil for them.

I use Mobil1 in all my cars and see that they have the Mobil1 racing 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil that should work according to what the engine will take.

I know this is probably overkill but is that a good idea?

2. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

Motorcycle oil is not the same as small engine oil. Motorcycles cycle the oil through the clutch pack. I would suggest using small engine oil.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If I were you, I'd let everything this "friend" says go in one ear and out the other...... :dizzy:

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Not all of them
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. thejck

thejck LawnSite Member

So you are saying that synthetic oil is a bad idea?
    Or are you saying that motorcyle oil that is designed for high rev air cooled engines is a bad idea?

I believe that a synthetic oil will have more advantages to conventional or am I missing something?

Also this is the oil he was talking about.
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

6. thejck

thejck LawnSite Member

the manual says 10w-40 is ok
    also
    api SF, SG, SH, or SJ

So if the oil has one of those labels its ok?

7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes if it has those lables its ok to use in the mower
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. tlc23

tlc23 LawnSite Member

If you want to use synthetic oil that's fine, no need for motorcycle oil. The big difference with motorcycle oil is that it's made for a wet clutch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably the best thing you can do is use a single viscosity oil. Mainly 30w. Never could see the advantage of full synthetic over conventional. The schedule doesn't change. but operating costs sure do.

And RR, wouldn't his head have to be empty for that to happen? :)

10. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

So, are you saying they are not intechangeable? Rotella T6 5w40 is used mostly for diesel engines but has an additive for wet clutches. I would think it could be used anywhere a 5w40 or 10w40 oil is called for including motorcycles. I use it in my diesel truck, Kohler engine and my Goldwing. Am I missing something?