Motorcyle oil for mower engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thejck, Apr 4, 2014.

1. spydahead

spydahead LawnSite Member

You should not use water cooled engine oil in a air cooled engine or vice versa:nono: other than that run what you want, however I would stick with what
    the manufacture recommends.
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Could you by chance name a oil brand that specifically states for water cooled engines only?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Marketing. :hammerhead:
  4. spydahead

spydahead LawnSite Member

As far as I know all motorcycle oil made today is for water cooled engines, the person that schooled me on engine building fed me a lot of info on different oil types, a lot of this had to do with 2 stroke engines.(not what we are talking about)
    If you really want to run motorcycle oil you should walk into a Honda or kawi
    dealership that sells both motorcycle and lawn equipment and ask them if it is advisable,or ask why they have different types oil for motorcycles vs lawn
  5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Water cooled has tighter tolerance due to expansion and contraction. Air cooled V-Twin motorcycles typically spec 20w-50.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah and my coffee isn't black enough, you know...
    Friends like these mean well, their advice is well intended...
    But as Restro pointed out, perhaps they have a little too much time on their hands.

As for the lubricant I use engine oil, it is made for gasoline engines.
    That answer usually quiets the motorcycle enthusiasts down a little.
  7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

So where on the bottle does it say water or air cooled only?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

If I buy my oil at the Bentley dealership will it give my mowers more class?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

It'll make it more snooty tho. Won't wanna associate with the other lesser class mowers
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to run motorcycle oil in my work truck. it was motul spec 300v $13.00 a quart. engine was soooooo quiet running that oil. next when I was in school for auto technology a guy came in with a motor with a torque wrench and 2 pieces of metal that rubbed and a little oil pan... well he ran it with all the oils you see on the store shelves all oils lasted till about 6 to 8lbs of pressure on torque wrench till wheel stopped turning. then he pulled out a oil with molly in it. that oil went all the way up to 14lbs before the wheel stopped turning. we were told the down fall for molly in oil is its ability to make rings stop sealing right because it cuts down on friction so much....
    bottom line is this, all oils will work fine. people get brain washed by ONLY use kohler or Kawasaki oil filters because of this or that and not to use a oil filter for a auto store. I say really??????? a new 27hp kohler is what $1400 to $2100. yet a new car engine costs what? $4000.00 to $14000.00 yet the filters for car engines will not work for a mower engine yet they ok for a new 2014 Toyota camry engine? :hammerhead: use common sense