motorized bed edgers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fullburn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

how many of you are using a motorized edger as a maintenance item to redefine beds in spring, rather than just hand tools. our they worth the money or not?
  2. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

I am a big fan of them. I have a lot of properties with beds, some with more than others. They do make a nice defined edge, and it cuts the time spent on them by more than half. I have not been able to save up enough money to buy one for myself, so I just rent one for about 3 days and hit it hard and heavy. Cost around $150 where I rent from. To me more than worth the money. Just my 3 cents
  3. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I agree, they are a great tool if you can justify the cost. You get quality work in alot less time.
  4. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

I try to do the same thing except i rent one for a day or half a day and line up 4 or 5 house to edge at a time. Hopefully I can justify owning one eventually. They are nice compared to a spade.
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

OMG there is no comparison! We did everything by hand years ago, it took forever and a day. We bought a Brown bed edger and it cut at least half if not more of our time. Its for sale now and I need a smaller hydro unit. But yes definetely worth the money IMO.
  6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Bed edgers are the only way to go, even used they are must have, if your goin' to grow your business.
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Tanaka edger on my buy list this year. I'm tired of the belt slipping on my old machine.
  8. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

9. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

you should check out it works very well and is faster than those big machines and a lot more cost effective
  10. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

we use them on non-irrigated properties. We were finding guys were hitting too many lines and heads with irrigated properties. Even if you walk a property and mark heads, theres always one hidden somewhere, plus irrigation companies never put lines deep enough so we would hit them from time to time. They are huge timesavers if you have nothing in the way.