Motorized Walk-Behind Spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by The Lawn Crew, Aug 2, 2003.

1. The Lawn Crew

The Lawn Crew LawnSite Member

Demo'd the Lesco walk-behind motorized spreader in the Lesco parking lot. Liked it a lot! It has a rod up by the handle that you turn in a 90-degree arc from noon to 3 o'clock. The closer to three you get, the quicker the spreader moves.

Sure could have used it when I spread 14 bags of fertilizer at a condo complex.

It takes the chore out of pushing. Probably not great for curbstrips with trees, or for really tight lawns, but othrwise I'd welcom a full-day demo to see if it fits into our lawn types.

I know Earthway also makes a motorized unit. It's, I believe, a small 4-cycle 1-1/2hp(looks like the top of a weedwhacker) mounted directly onto the lower portion of the spreader. The Lesco unit has a Kawasaki engine riding on a platform with a third caster wheel.

The Lesco is $1699; the Earthway $1199.

Any comments, experiences, and ideas appreciated!

2. mlc

mlc LawnSite Member

The Lawn Crew

I just send you a private post. I have a like new Lesco motorized spreader for sale.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the problem with the spreader is the gearbox is crapp it is not made to take the abuse it will blow apart very quickly.
    i like some of lescos products and i use them every day but do not buy that spreader unless u like fixin it.

4. The Lawn Crew

Check out: www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product_Index.asp?PS=H and scroll down to find motorized kits for Scotts/Andersons, Lesco, and Earthway spreaders.

It appears to be a Honda 4-cycle powerunit attached to drive the two wheels under the platform to which the engine is attached.

The Lesco built self-propelled spreader has a hydraulic unit/chain driven sprocket mounted directly to the spreader axle.

As always, comments appreciated!

5. The Lawn Crew

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

$700+ Holy Sh1t !!! That power-pak looks like a mini tiller gearbox w/ the tines and handle removed and wheels put on in place of the tines. You can buy a mini tiller for less than $400 loose the tines and handle, add wheels, a hitch, and a throttle control. Looks like a neat set-up but I wonder how well it works on soft lawns??

7. LCSR

LCSR LawnSite Member

LC,

I've used one for years and have not had a single problem. Most equiptment failures in my opinion stem from abuse and neglect. I'm sure we have all seen the guy who spends $3500.00 on a mower only to have it look like crap within a week.

Take care of your equiptment and it will take care of you.