motors (KAW or KOL)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by R&RLandscaping, Jun 5, 2002.

1. R&RLandscaping

R&RLandscaping LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a new ztr mower. I have had problems with the koler motor. I had been looking at a Ferris IS3000, because of the 25hp Kaw. motor. I just looked on Exmarks web site and they show a lazer z new for 2002 with a 25hp Kaw. Has anyone used one? How did it preform?
    thanks Bruce:blob3:

2. Kohler

How long do you want the motor to last?

3. R&RLandscaping

R&RLandscaping LawnSite Member

I want it to last as long as possible which motor is best?

4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Ihave always had better luck with the Kohlers. I still think the Japs are underbidding everybody to get them to use the Kawai's to begin with.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

both are good motors, i have one of each. my exmark has a 15 kohler on it and my encore (yes, i bought a used encore for a very good price and it actually does a great job) has a kawi 14 on it. carb needs some attention as it hunts a little at low idle, but after a new spark plug and the carb cleaned up some, it runs like it always has.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Mike, i've not been around Kawi's enough to know if they are this way, but some engines such as Tecumseh, just hunt at idle like that from the factory.
    Never heard bad about either engine though.
    Eric

7. Kaw's best enigne was the single cylinder 14hp.

Kohler make the best v-twin.

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are good, it is possible that you happened to get a dud. I have and use both myself.

9. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have a 12.5 hp kaw on my 44 toro and love it. Wish I would have bought one with mor power though. I am about 230lbs and it sometimes has trouble pulling me up hills. When I first got the toro, a shaft went bad on the motor and it had to be replaced. was replaced under warrenty with no problems and i have not had a another problem with it and it is 3 years old. I also notice mine hunts at low idle.

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard mixed things about Kohler engines, the older ones like the one i have on our JD 314 from 1982 has a 14hp engine and still runs some, burns some oil when we use it but it never gets used that much anymore. But when we need it, it runs.
    Though if you want an engine that will last longer look for a liquid cooled model such as a Kaw, Kohler is starting to get into liquid cooled, but Kaw has been doing it for years. Im sure their are other engines out there but those are the only two i know alot about.
    Matt(lawnman)